Wednesday, February 22, 2017
I carved a few more stamps.
So much to re-learn in picking up this hobby again after all these years.
But it IS coming back to me, ever so slowly.
Perusing Pinterest for hand carved stamp ideas has been truly helpful.
That is where I found the idea for the coffee stamp.
For this stamp I used one of my giant erasers, cut up.
Those have actually worked the best.
Next best has been the pink product made for stamp carving.
After that any old cheap eraser you can find.
So far, the worst for me has been the white product made for carving.
It works fine for large cuts, like the square I carved to make the buffalo plaid (by the way, I LOVE that!)
But it is a flaky material, so when carving the small girl almost all of the detail crumbled away.
I'm not TOO sad about that, as I can use what's left for more solid stamps, and the one that crumbled I can just add the detail after I stamp it.
And just in case you've been wonder, I am STILL February tired. Today I had plans to get up at my normal time, so I set my alarm. Daughter was going to stop by to drop something off that one of her children would want to use after school. So, I planned to have coffee with her before she went to work. My alarm went off, I hit the snooze ONE time (I clearly remember this) but it never went off again. So, Daughter came. When I didn't open the door for her she let herself in. There was no me there to greet her. Just a dog (who did NOT bark) who wanted to go out. Apparently, she checked to make sure I was still alive, which was terribly kind of her because if I wasn't alive someone should probably be made aware of it, and deemed me too deeply asleep to bother. She is sweet like that. I slept another HOUR after my normal alarm time.
Don't know what else to do. I've been getting in bed by nine thirty and only reading for about two hours.
Apparently, it isn't the snow and cold that puts me into the hibernation mood. It's February.
Oh, and I truly don't mind sleeping in, but I was looking forward to having coffee with Daughter!
(I asked, she did not take a picture, thank goodness.)
Monday, February 20, 2017
There were two witches hats left, and I didn't want to pay the price for Styrofoam cones for Christmas tree making, so I bought the witch's hats and took them apart.
But then I never made trees out of them.
So, Hertsje has been really into unicorns lately, so I thought, why not try to fashion one out of a cardboard cone?
The cone was just a little bit to wide at the base for a unicorn horn, I thought, but Hertsje deemed it PERFECT!
I am LEARNING, after three children of my own, and six grandchildren, that if THEY think it is good enough, it is good enough.
She was over the moon pleased with the outcome.
On Monday, we make really truly cool stuff out of junk I have around my house.
Sunday, February 19, 2017
Saturday, February 18, 2017
2. Most of my thoughts lately have revolved around what I can do to earn some money. I'm not coming up with much. I have no marketable skills. I used to, but they have gone the way of the dinosaur.
4. Soon I shall try my hand at selling on Ebay. This scares me, but then everything does. But, I have a lot of "stuff" and most of it I don't need anymore. Hopefully someone else will want it. I've been told that people will buy anything. One can always hope. Because I pretty much have all the anything there is to be had.
5. My computer has been acting up lately. For a few months now it won't let me down load pictures from my camera. So, I have to use THGGM's computer to do that. But recently his computer does wonky things, things like freezing up when I am altering pictures. Due to the constant flipping around of computers rarely do I feel like posting pictures. Except for today. Today I decided to stick it out until I got a few posts on here. Tens of people want me to do this. And besides, this has become my memory. If I do not post it, it didn't happen.
6. And how empty would every one's lives be if they didn't see what I made on Mondays? Or mine, if I didn't post and a Saturday went by where you did not know what I found at the thrift store? Well, let me tell you, last Saturday we drove to a couple of different towns and returned home with nothing. Of course I found something at my local thrift store, but not at the others. But since I did not post last Saturday, I no longer remember what things I bought. Now that is driving me crazy. Well, that and a bunch of other stuff.
7. All too frequently, I use the words "but", "well", and "so". Among others. I do try to stop, and I try to use "and" less and not start my sentences with "I". But, so far, that isn't working out so well.
8. I get tired and cranky in February. Mostly I thought it was because of the lack of sun and all the snow. Maybe that is part of it, sometimes. But today was sunny and warm with snow only in huge dirty parking lot mountains. Yet I still feel all February-ish.
9. This week I finished reading "The Romanov Sisters" a very good book if you like history and don't worry about history repeating itself. Because it does, and reading history is scary. Certainly there must be SOME happy history SOMEWHERE that I could read.
10. Wednesday of this week I removed every evidence of winter from my house. I brought up the empty bins from the basement, filling them to capacity and beyond. I dragged them out to the porch for THGGM to carry back to the basement for me. It felt good to put it away. I made myself a cup of coffee all while congratulating myself on all that hard work. Then, I got up, walked into my pretty pink bathroom, and noticed a highly decorated aluminum Christmas tree sporting a plethora of Shiny Brite ornaments, and I swear, it laughed at me. How did I NOT remember this? Well, it made me that weird sort of angry that only I get at myself. I made myself another cup of coffee while deciding that it could stay there til Spring for all I care. Instead, I took it all down and put it away on Friday, when it actually did feel like spring.
12. But for the most part, like if I avoid ANY and ALL news and remain home humming happy tunes to myself and carving rubber stamps out of pink erasers, I am fine. Totally fine. Happy to be alive fine. Then, right around 9:00 every night THGGM listens to Bach on his favorite CD and Bach adagios have the ability to make me want to stuff cotton in my ears and loudly hum to drown it out. Bach adagios are SAD. I recall reading somewhere that the Dutch were listening to Bach in the days before the German invasion and my fears of history repeating itself goes into high gear. So I go to bed to read about the Romanov's, because that ends so well. Yeah. February is a tough month for me. My mom told me it would be. She didn't know why either.
13. Tomorrow it is supposed to again be sunshiny and warm. And I shall attempt to be the same.
Kado is one of them.
He brought out the Tinker Toys and made all manner of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle type weaponry.
Kado has an incredible imagination.
Not sure why he named him Gerald, but he did.
This is actually Gerald II, as the first Gerald got a Tinker Toy stuck in his nose, which poked out the back of his head in a way that Kado could not abide.
So, meet Gerald II.
Kado also loves to roller blade.
So, he did a lot of that.
Later in the afternoon he met up with his brothers and cousins to see the new Batman Lego movie.
There are so many exciting things to do when you are seven!
The school down the street is finished now!
The sign went up yesterday.
This is actually the view from the back.
Oh, and I see Kado roller blading in that picture.
(i also just noticed that he is not wearing his helmet. this is not allowed.)
Saturday, February 04, 2017
Presently, it is 8:10 pm and I am sitting in the darkened living room listening to THGGM snore softly. I am also enjoying a fire in the fireplace while dreaming that someone will make me popcorn.
It won't be long until it's time to watch Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By on PBS.
This morning I puttered around the house while THGGM did some errands.
In the afternoon we made a quick stop at one thrift store where I spent a total of 50 cents.
THGGM had more things to tend to in the afternoon.
There were many things that I should have been doing but I had that feeling that I MUST do something at least somewhat creative.
So THIS is what I did!
I may keep doing this until I run out of plain old erasers.
On the next one I try I won't worry so much about eyeballs or buttons.
Those can be added after the fact with black ink.
This is another one of those things that I highly recommend that you try!
All you need are plain old erasers, a craving tool, and a stamp pad.
Wednesday, February 01, 2017
The rest we added as we went along: yarn for hair, snips from a red rubber band for mouths, etc.
Some of the fabric (think wool socks) were too difficult for her to cut, but when I showed her how to rip strips of fabric to make belts and scarves she got right to work!
On Tuesday we made a few more, so the original three sisters jumped to six!
That's a lot of sisters!
For most of the rest of Tuesday, these dolls traveled around with Hertsje.
They had a lot of interesting discussions, as only sisters can, and they also slept in a variety of unusual places covered in the remaining fabric scraps.
I wasn't too sure how they would hold up, as we made them quickly, only using glue to keep the socks from unraveling.
But they held up to the rigors of play quite well, only losing a mouth here and there.
Tomorrow I think we shall give them a string of hearts to hold, allowing them to be a Valentine decoration.
If I REALLY want to get practical, I suppose we could fill them with candy to actually be used as Valentine's!
Friday, January 27, 2017
Not so much a week in review, as a reminder to myself that drawing isn't the ONLY thing we do around here!
Yesterday, we baked muffins!
I did change them up just a bit.
I used butter instead of vegetable oil and half and half instead of milk.
When all was said and done, they ended up looking like a muffin tin filled with baseballs.
But, they were GOOD!
And we had FUN.
We even LEARNED something.
Well, I did anyway.
Stick with the recipe!