Sunday, April 08, 2018
Friday, April 06, 2018
The Easter Bunny brought ME a large Lego set, so we had something new to work on since the weather seemed determined to keep us inside.
There was even a CAMERA in the set.
These two make a great team.
They know each others strengths so work together to get things accomplished.
It is really quite something to behold.
This is just ONE of their finished products.
Tuesday, April 03, 2018
These two were WILD.
Today we had snow. It's a good thing we went when we did.
Things that would never show up can be seen clearly with no leaves on the trees.
No GPS necessary.
Also, I believe we ALL handle 44 degrees better than we do the hot and humid 85 degrees PLUS in with the butterflies.
Truly. I can hardly believe it.
Hard to believe that one of those boys had spent the previous morning vomiting.
Seriously though, I don't think they were too much interested in them.
Maybe just enough to do a quick turn through it.
Famke was spending the day with a friend, but I think she would have appreciated it more than her brothers did.
I did get a couple of pictures, but most of them were a bit misty.
Monday, April 02, 2018
It definitely was a winter coat Easter!
I do try my best to get pictures of everyone, but sometimes I miss a few here and there.
I think we all had a great time!
I know I did!
After everyone had gone home, I pointed out to THGGM that we hadn't exchanged any harsh words with each other all day.
We both were rather surprised about that.
Losing my cool while preparing for guests is something that we have always just associated with holidays.
Apparently, I CAN learn new things!
He was kind and did say if I really wanted to fight about something, he could come up with a few topics of conversation.
Why ruin a new tradition?!
And as always, there was plenty of food!
Until I have taken their picture lined up along the back of our garage there can be NO gathering up of the eggs.
It is tradition.
Saturday, March 24, 2018
2. This charming book came in the mail this week. I really like ordering from Abebooks.com. I've been able to find everything I've been looking for there. I saw this book awhile back on someones Pinterest board. Since I fell in love with the cover, and also LOVE "The Bird's Christmas Carol" by the same author (also the author of "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm") I was pretty sure I'd love it. And even if I didn't (i do!) I would want it for it's cover!
4. THGGM found the smaller pitcher there also. I thought I had just the place for it in the kitchen but he really likes it here. It does stand out more.
5. This week I'm hoping to do the second round of packing things up for the thrift store. Yes, I did get rid of A LOT last month, but there is still more to do. Do you know how some people have a junk drawer that they are embarrassed about? Hmm. I have a junk drawer in every room. None of it is junk to me though, they are treasures I've squirreled away for years but can no longer remember why. So, as long as there are empty boxes to fill, I'll be filling them. Remember, I'm giving myself A YEAR to do this. I'll get there (maybe).
6. The black picture frame is something I found for a dollar awhile back. It PERFECTLY fits four of the Ethel Parkinson postcards I found for a deal on Ebay last year. There is just something about the pictures, the colors, the combination of those things that makes me want to stand in front of it everyday just to take it in. I don't know much at all about art, but illustrations that draw one into the scene make me supremely happy.
7. Spring has finally arrived, although it certainly does not feel like it yet. It's been sunny, but COLD. Presently I'm listening to the whine of a dog who wants to go for a quick walk. He isn't "whining" exactly, more like moaning about me under his breath. But, when I DO take him out, I'm amazed to see hyacinth, daffodils, and tulips starting to appear. Zeke doesn't notice those. He just smells stuff.
8. Yesterday we also drove out to Grand Haven to do a little bit of antique "looking". There isn't another thing we need or could shoehorn into this place, but we still enjoy looking! I also enjoy the ride. With no leaves on the trees it's easier to see what is in all of those woods we pass on the way there. Both antique malls we went to are recently under new ownership. It will be interesting to see how well they do. There seems to be a demand for mid-century modern these days, but to me it just looks like what everybody I ever knew used to have. I still prefer the older stuff, things that seem to have a story they are trying to tell me. Mid-century also tells a story, I'm sure, but it's one I've heard before (and didn't like).
9. After school one day this week when the grand kids were here, Jonge was sitting at the piano. He is in band now, and playing percussion instruments, one being the xylophone. One of the things he enjoys doing is learning the various team fight songs. The Michigan Wolverine's is his favorite team, he's had that one down for sometime. Presently he's been trying to master Notre Dame's. Everyone was doing their own thing that day, but he mostly stayed at the piano. I happened to notice, once or twice, that he had the front of the piano opened. After some time had passed, he said "Do you hear that?" I wasn't sure what it was I was supposed to be hearing, as he'd been playing for some time. He said it again. I couldn't figure out why he was asking me, since it sounded like he was just playing the same note over and over. Apparently, he was. I've had this piano for over 10 years now, and when we got it we were told that one of the keys didn't work (the piano was free), and that it would be expensive to repair For over ten years now I've been playing this thing with that one dead key. But, guess what?! Jonge fixed it! Broken things bother him. I ignore broken things and just learn to live with it. At first I didn't believe him, as he does rather delight in fooling people. But, indeed he had fixed it. I asked him how and with what. He said it was a loose spring and his only tools were the pen and pencil he had in his pocket. I may just have to turn him loose on ALL the broken things around here. Apparently, I give up too easily. Also apparently, he is good at fixing things!
10. At lunch today I couldn't help but overhear the conversation at the next table. But, it's late and I'm tired so I'll save it for another day. Maybe. I might. You don't know.