A week ago, I missed the doctor's appointment for my mom and dad with their primary care physician.
The doctor gave my mom samples of a pain killer in hopes that it would help with the back pain she has been experiencing.
Had I been present, I would have questioned the need to drug my mom any more.
To make a very long story short, the pain killer sucked the life right out of mom.
She isn't on this new medication anymore (she has never tolerated pain medications well.) But, she is still suffering from it's effects.
Today, not even the lively antics of Baby Boy could hold her attention for very long.
I'm trying not to worry, as she did have a few good moments, in which I told her that the strange way she is feeling is from medication. I didn't tell her that there was some time yesterday when I feared she may be having a stroke and sent THGGM over to check her out.
I just hope and pray that this is only temporary, like the doctor said. And soon she will be back to her 'new normal'.
Since I'm so interested in memory and the workings of the mind, it was fascinating to hear her talk.
In her mind, she had just returned from a day and a half trip to visit her sister in Wisconsin. She had a wonderful time, although it did rain some. She bought three rubber stamps, but she can't remember where she put them. I find it interesting that she also told me that they only had to stop three times to put gas in the car.
Everything she told me about her trip has happened. I find it reassuring that she still has fun places in her mind where she can travel when the going gets rough.
She told me that her sister made the most fabulous meal for them, even though she was busy packing school lunches for her four children (children who are presently in their forties and fifties).
She asked if someone had gotten their mail, and I played along.
But, when she told me that she hadn't been able to reach her mom and dad, I had a harder time responding. I told her that the last time I had heard from them, they were fine. That seemed to satisfy her.
Then, she was very still for over an hour. Sort of sleeping, sort of talking. She was still so long that Baby Boy got out the trusty duster, and gave her a good dusting.

5 comments:
You are wise to be concerned about meds for your mom. One of my friends kept her mom in her home till just a few weeks before she died. A druggist told her that if you are on more than 3 drugs, there is simply no way to know what symptoms are caused by what problem or if the combination of drugs are doing it, etc.
I am sorry you are having to deal with this!! I have watched other people in your same situation. It takes all the energy, patience and love you have to go through it...but GOD is there too! Hang in there dear, you are doing a wonderful thing for your parents!!
I think what Elizabeth said is accurate.
I will have to bear that in mind if my mind starts to go - and warn someone before it is gone - when I was on certain pain meds I was incoherent.
BTW the photograph is a beautiful rendering and interpretation of the moment. Sad but beautiful.
Oh my... still praying... It's fascinating on one hand how our minds can operate, sad on the other... Hang in there, Judy--you and your mom are in our thoughts and prayers... Blessings, Debra
"playing along" is the right approach. Otherwise you cause her undue stress.
You handled her questions in a perfect way. My mom also has Alzheimer's and at first, I foolishly tried to "orient" her. That is the wrong approach. Now, I do as you do, and let her have her own reality. She is happy, and when she is happy, so am I.
Post a Comment