Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Loooooong Winter

Remind me never to complain.  Especially about winter.  In my long 54 years I remember that winter started sometime around Thanksgiving and ended by dancing around Easter.  Last year winter almost missed us completely, but decided to storm on us ONCE the very day Hertsje was born, causing us to miss seeing her on the day of her birth due to a closed highway and a stern warning from the weatherman to STAY OFF THE ROADS!
This year winter has again held off until February.  But it's had a bit more of a bite to it than last year.
Today I'm sitting by my front window, watching it snow, and snow, and snow some more.  So far, it hasn't effected the driving conditions, as cars are sailing by like they normally do.
I'm presently reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's "The Long Winter".  Every time I read it I get something different from Wilder's description of it.  Some years I'll read it during the hottest most humid weeks of summer and will still feel chilled by the scenes of that blizzardy winter.  Of course, here in Michigan in isn't THAT cold, or THAT snowy, but still, reading this book makes me more truly thankful for heat, light, and food than anything else ever could.
Last night, this was the portion of the book that really had me thinking that even though everything changes, everything also stays the same...

"If only I had some grease I could fix some kind of a light," Ma considered.  "We didn't lack for light when I was a girl, before this newfangled kerosene was ever heard of."
"That's so, said Pa.  "These times are too progressive.  Everything has changed too fast.  Railroads and telegraph and kerosene and coal stoves - they're good things to have but the trouble is, folks get to depend on 'em."

5 comments:

Alice said...

And my extended family in Nebraska is STILL hoping for any kind of moisture. They were worried that the cracks in the ground from the summer drought were going to break the water pipes coming from the well.

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

I tell you what - I read that book - during one of our HOT summers and it helped me appreciate the heat more. It is a great book to read - especially if you are very uncomfortable - no matter which direction. It makes you SO very thankful for the blessings of today.
Lisa :O)

Rebecca said...

These times ARE too progressive :)
Sounds like you all will be experiencing some major snow in the next 24 hours! Stay snug. Be safe.

Anvilcloud said...

Our winter began in earnest around mid-December. It's been a tough one.

Melissa said...

We haven't had tons of snow but much better than last year and we've had our super-cold - it has been an average sort of year imo...

We read those books around once a year.