Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Tuesday, April 21, 2020

A Rerun From 2007 Which Seemed Worth a Second Look

Have you ever wondered what's it all about?
I have.
In the past couple of weeks I have been totally annoying THGGM by demanding that he tell me what's it all about.
I've been spinning and twirling and dancing the dance of the perplexed.
The part that has become confusing to me is that I look at the people who would bold face tell me what's it all about and I am not convinced at all that they have a clue.
Not a clue.
So far, this is what I've come up with:
If one wants to know what's it all about one really needs to turn to someone who has just been given a death sentence.
Yes. That is right. Without much variation, those people will tell you that it is all about spending time with those you love. Oh, they might all word it differently, but it seems to simply come down to that.
Not more busy-ness.
Not a full calendar.
Not a career change.
Not money, success or fame.
None of that AT ALL.
But why is it that only the dying have a clue?
WHY???
If one has learned these things and still seems to have many good years ahead, what good is the knowledge that the dying give to us - if we do not take it?
I spent a very good portion of my life running around in a frenzy of 'good' activity. If it was a 'good thing' I felt I HAD to do it. And, I did - very well, I might add.
But, hindsight has taught me - along with the words of very dear people who have died - that being busy doing just any good thing is NOT what's it all about.
Who am I? What was I put here to do? Who are the people God has placed right in front of me, for me to love?
In the recent past, when I would fall into this crappy funk I'm in, I would stop and ask myself:
Am I loving God with everything I have? Am I loving my neighbor? Am I seeking justice, loving mercy, walking humbly?
That seems to be what the dying understand.
They understand, or so it seems, that the people they are in relationship with are the ones they are to love. Dying people rarely go out and seek new people to love. But, by the nature of their loving, people are drawn to them.
Why is that?
I do not know.  But, I will continue doing what I know, and see where He leads me.

No comments: