Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Saturday, March 24, 2018

Randomness

1.  Today has been a day of cleaning.  We DID go out to lunch, but other than that it's been a stay-at-home sort of day.  The kind of day where one vacuums under and behind things that haven't seen the light of day since Christmas.  It was time.  Well, actually, it was way past time.  But it's done now.
2.  This charming book came in the mail this week.  I really like ordering from Abebooks.com.  I've been able to find everything I've been looking for there.  I saw this book awhile back on someones Pinterest board.  Since I fell in love with the cover, and also LOVE "The Bird's Christmas Carol" by the same author (also the author of "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm") I was pretty sure I'd love it. And even if I didn't (i do!) I would want it for it's cover!

IF ONLY people did not put stickers on the covers of books!  This is something I could rant about for days, but then, I have to remind myself that I've done some pretty serious damage to the covers of books myself, which quickly silences me.  And, I would not have found the book for the fabulous price I did were the cover in perfect condition, so there is also that.  Still.., I'm going to huff about it for a little while longer and then just move on with my life (i'm mature like that).
3.  This weekend we didn't do any thrift shopping.  No reason to worry, we went on Wednesday, which is senior discount day.  But on Friday THGGM and I stopped in at the second day of an estate sale.  There we found this large blue pitcher.  Everything was 50% off.  When I got home with it I remembered that I have two pieces that are nearly identical.  The flowers are a bit different, but the colors and the feel of the china are the same.  Most likely I will find another place for it, as it looks like something that would fit in better in a bedroom, but who knows?   



4. THGGM found the smaller pitcher there also.  I thought I had just the place for it in the kitchen but he really likes it here.  It does stand out more.
5. This week I'm hoping to do the second round of packing things up for the thrift store.  Yes, I did get rid of A LOT last month, but there is still more to do.  Do you know how some people have a junk drawer that they are embarrassed about?   Hmm.  I have a junk drawer in every room.  None of it is junk to me though, they are treasures I've squirreled away for years but can no longer remember why.  So, as long as there are empty boxes to fill, I'll be filling them.  Remember, I'm giving myself A YEAR to do this.  I'll get there (maybe).
6.  The black picture frame is something I found for a dollar awhile back.  It PERFECTLY fits four of the Ethel Parkinson postcards I found for a deal on Ebay last year.  There is just something about the pictures, the colors, the combination of those things that makes me want to stand in front of it everyday just to take it in.  I don't know much at all about art, but illustrations that draw one into the scene make me supremely happy.
7.  Spring has finally arrived, although it certainly does not feel like it yet.  It's been sunny, but COLD.  Presently I'm listening to the whine of a dog who wants to go for a quick walk.  He isn't "whining" exactly, more like moaning about me under his breath.  But, when I DO take him out, I'm amazed to see hyacinth, daffodils, and tulips starting to appear.  Zeke doesn't notice those.  He just smells stuff.
8.  Yesterday we also drove out to Grand Haven to do a little bit of antique "looking".  There isn't another thing we need or could shoehorn into this place, but we still enjoy looking!  I also enjoy the ride.  With no leaves on the trees it's easier to see what is in all of those woods we pass on the way there.  Both antique malls we went to are recently under new ownership.  It will be interesting to see how well they do.  There seems to be a demand for mid-century modern these days, but to me it just looks like what everybody I ever knew used to have.  I still prefer the older stuff, things that seem to have a story they are trying to tell me.  Mid-century also tells a story, I'm sure, but it's one I've heard before (and didn't like).
9.  After school one day this week when the grand kids were here, Jonge was sitting at the piano.  He is in band now, and playing percussion instruments, one being the xylophone.  One of the things he enjoys doing is learning the various team fight songs.  The Michigan Wolverine's is his favorite team, he's had that one down for sometime.  Presently he's been trying to master Notre Dame's.  Everyone was doing their own thing that day, but he mostly stayed at the piano.  I happened to notice, once or twice, that he had the front of the piano opened.  After some time had passed, he said "Do you hear that?"  I wasn't sure what it was I was supposed to be hearing, as he'd been playing for some time.  He said it again.  I couldn't figure out why he was asking me, since it sounded like he was just playing the same note over and over.  Apparently, he was.  I've had this piano for over 10 years now, and when we got it we were told that one of the keys didn't work (the piano was free), and that it would be expensive to repair   For over ten years now I've been playing this thing with that one dead key.  But, guess what?! Jonge fixed it!  Broken things bother him.  I ignore broken things and just learn to live with it.  At first I didn't believe him, as he does rather delight in fooling people.  But, indeed he had fixed it.  I asked him how and with what.  He said it was a loose spring and his only tools were the pen and pencil he had in his pocket.  I may just have to turn him loose on ALL the broken things around here.  Apparently, I give up too easily.  Also apparently, he is good at fixing things!
10.  At lunch today I couldn't help but overhear the conversation at the next table.  But, it's late and I'm tired so I'll save it for another day.  Maybe.  I might.  You don't know.

No comments: