Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A Post in which Judy Protests Barbaric Hospital Practices

My dad has been in the hospital since last week Thursday night.

As far as hospitals go, he is at a wonderful one.

He has a fabulous tree top view of a beautiful lake, and greatly enjoys watching the sun come up each morning. He has already seen seven sunrises.

His nurses, aides and doctors have all been kind and caring people.

He likes the food. Except for the fact that it is all salt free.

But, I find it barbaric that all hospital rooms are not private. I would go INSANE. Yes. I'm sure of it.

I have only been an overnight patient in a hospital in the maternity ward. We were all there for the same reason.

My dad has already had three different room mates.

First, there was 'loud obnoxious man' who had an awful cough.

Then, it was 'tall dignified-looking man' who left for further treatment at U of M hospital in Ann Arbor.

Now he has 'constent headache man' who I feel particularly bad for, as I understand headaches.

Why do we send our ill to hospitals where they must live with people they do not know?

I do not live in THAT close proximity to those that I dearly love. Yet, here in our most weakened state we are made to live with total strangers.

Two doors down from my dad is 'prisoner man'. This man has an armed guard standing at his door at all times. 'Prisoner man' screams a lot. He also gets a private room. Which, of course, is good. Except to think that the public pays for 'prisoner man' to have a private room, while law abiding citizens share a room and cough, vomit and gasp in front of each other.

Last night my dad was to have visitors who are notorious for talking too loud. I feel sorry for 'constant headache man'.

If I ever have to be hospitalized (which so far has only happened for maternity purposes) I would require a private room. An EXTREMELY private room, as I can't imagine that I would want to socialize and be sick at the same time. And, I would hate to think that I would have to become a convicted felon just to get a private room. But, a girls got to do what a girls got to do.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it is a way they have to hurry one into going home soon!! No wonder we long to go home to our own surroundings. Yeah...having babies...my first in a military hospital...if you ever were private or shy, that was the end of that!! Afterwards in the ward the dear head doctor wanted to show his buddies...all 20 or so of them, how well he had reconstructed me after the horrid delivery I had (which was NOT a c-section one)...yep, you heard me right! Now, you know men are in charge of the world...women would NEVER do that to another woman after having gone through the same!
Elizabeth

Jan said...

I had surgery a few years back and they put me in a room with the most talkative woman on earth. I am a very quiet person and was planning to recover in a silent room with a book. My roommate kept the television at full blast and then talked over that. She didn't care if anyone was in the room, awake or asleep...she just kept talking! At one point she fell asleep and I asked the nurse to turn of the tv. As soon as it was off, the quiet woke her up. She turned it back on and resumed talking!!!

At some point it became kind of funny. She told me the entire recipe for chitlins and I'll never forget her emphasis that you MUST get those things clean before you cook em!