Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Reading George MacDonald

I've read several George MacDonald books in the past. Today as I sorted through my piles and piles of books, I came upon "George MacDonald - An Anthology" edited by C.S. Lewis. The introduction so pulled me in that I had to postpone all of my various and sundry plans to read it from cover to cover. It didn't take long.

Here I give to you a sampling:

AVARICE

"Did you ever think of the orgin of the word Avarice?"

"No."

"It comes - at least it seems to me to come - from the same root as the verb have. It is the desire to call things ours - the desire of company which is not of our kind - company such as, if small enough, you would put in your pocket and carry about with you. We call the holding in the hand, or the house, or the pocket, or the power, having; but things so held cannot really be had; having is but an illusion in regard to things. It is only what we can be with that we really possess - that is, what is of our kind, from God to the lowest animal partaking of humanity."

3 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

He also wrote a type of fantasy series that, at least partly I believe, inspired Narnia. I tried them and didn't much like them. Have I said all of this before? It seems very familiar.

Unknown said...

So avarice means "wantsy"?

Judy said...

I cannot edit this post. Every time I try, I republish, and get the same weird
'wordsallstucktogetherness'.

Urg.

I haven't made it through any of the MacDonald fantasies, even though I own them.

And, yes, I do believe it means 'wantsy'. And, I have it BAD.