Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Do You Identify Most with Mary or Martha?

Hmmm.

This was a question at the end of a chapter on Mary and Martha in my Sunday School class on Sunday.

Right off, I can tell you that I am no Martha. No. Right off I can eliminate that one. I'm not like Martha at all. If I was called upon to make food for a large group of people, I would grab up a load of those five dollar pizzas from Little Ceasar's. Martha could not do that. Mostly because the picture of 'Ceasar' on the box would have been a teensy bit tacky at that time. (Do you think that someday, some other culture will have Harry Truman pizza? I hear it's 'da bomb'.)

And Mary. I'm not like Mary. Although I could sit, listen, study, and think deep thoughts all day long, I would truly be remiss if I led someone to believe that I understand the depth of love Mary had for Jesus. And to think that soon, she would have had to stand by and watch him die.

No. I feel that I more relate to the little known younger sister of Mary and Martha. Let's call her Maude. I relate better to Maude. Maude is not mentioned in this particular story, as she was out thrift shopping for devotional books. Particularly those in a lovely shade of mossy green. And, shopping for art supplies. Even though Maude is not an artist, she heard that the local craft store was selling brushes that actual artists use, and for only $1.92 (which I believe translates into a pair of mourning doves and and a tea-stained toga). Maude also made a stop off at a cookbook outlet. Oh, how Maude hates to cook - but looking at those gorgeous pictures of food always gave her a sense of hope. Yes. She would buy a cookbook and look at the pictures and dream of what she would make the next time those 13 guys her sister's were always talking about came around.

Maude didn't make it home that night until everyone was leaving. Martha had a headache, Mary sat pondering what it meant to be the one who had made the better choice. Maude took her purchases up to her room. As she cradled them in her arms, she looked longingly out the window and thought to herself 'I wish someone would hurry up and invent the blogsphere'....

4 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Brother Marty, the scribe, here.

Anonymous said...

Afraid I don't fit any of these catagories...maybe a bit of each in me...you know, a jack of most trades and master of nearly none.
Elizabeth

Melodee said...

This post is why I love you so much!

Heather Plett said...

Oooh - I LOVE this! I'm so TOTALLY a Maude! I never could quite decide whether I was a Mary or Martha either, but now I have an alternative :-)