Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Thursday, February 22, 2007

Random Comments

It is very windy here today. Very. I am watching the flag across the street go wild. I am also reminded that this flag was never put to half staff when President Ford died. I believe it belongs to the city. Shame on them.

I've decided to move my art room again. I just might have to get rid of more stuff. Or, set it outside and let it blow away today.

A mouse trap snapped while I was making coffee this morning. No mouse parts are visible outside of the trap, but I can hear squeaks coming from inside. I plan to spend no more time than is totally necessary in my kitchen today until THGGM gets home. Hearing a small mouse cry himself to death is not my idea of a good time.

This week I set "The Cat in the Hat" to music. I'm finding that I get short of breath reading loooong children's books that require expression in the reading of them. But, I can sing them just fine. "The Cat in the Hat" works great with one of my favorite Christian songs. I will not tell you which one, as it would ruin that wonderful song for you forever.

I spent an hour this morning reading controversial stuff. I should not do that. Gives me heart palpitations and a headache. I'm thinking of writing a controversial book in the 'touch and feel' genre. A variety of nail heads and needles would be available for poking ones self. What I read effects me in the same way. No more controversial stuff for me for the rest of the day. I have a 'cottage style' decorating book with many pictures to inspire happy thoughts.

Another book idea. This one is for children. It's to be called "This Is Mom". In it, the child will follow what 'mom' does all day. I'm getting sick and tired of books about what the child does all day. One page will be "This is mom eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with you. She loves you, but she hates peanut butter and jelly and can't wait for you to take your nap so she can eat the M&M's she has hidden away. Although, she has to eat them on the run, or she will not have the dishes washed, laundry going or dinner started before you wake up, requiring a diaper change." That particular page COULD have an element of 'scratch and sniff', I'm not sure about that yet...

I finally have the purrrfect cat. He sleeps on my cold feet. I've tried for years to get other pets to do that, but they have preferred to sleep on parts of my body that are never cold. If I could think of what to reward this cat with, I would do it. He has lost all interest in small squeaking mice.

Baby Boy is FINALLY down for his nap. It was a struggle. He wanted me to hold him. I wanted him to lay down. We compromised. I held him. Then, I laid him down while still holding him. Next I sloooooooowly removed my arm from underneath him. He did open one eye and give me a really dirty look, but he has remained asleep.

I can dance through "The Barnyard Dance" book one time, but any more than that and I feel the early warnings of cardiac arrest. Baby Boy has spent the morning pointing to the page in the book and demanding in the way only he can that he wants me to either 'twirl' or 'promenade' neither of which look pretty when I do them. He will not bow, spin, strut or bounce on his own. Just points at the page and nods his head while saying 'jah, jah, jah!' like a good Dutch boy should.

Yesterday I had a few hours of what, if my memory serves me correctly, felt like happiness. I hate to admit to having a BAD case of the winter 'blahs' bordering on nasty 'I can barely function' depression. But, I do. My most obvious symptoms are a lack of feeling anything but tired, and a desire to do nothing but whine about this ache or that pain. But, that glimpse into a happier world made me feel hopeful. Almost human. I blame a lot of this on that horrid "Wuthering Heights" book that I determined to finish. And did. And HATED. Icky pooh book, that one.

I'm reading the 'spring' portion of Gladys Taber's "Stillmeadow Sampler" and that is helpful. Last night their barn burned down. But, I'm okay. If even one of their dogs had died, I would have been a basket case this morning. But they got all of the dogs out. Really. The book is so old that I felt sad thinking that they are all dead now anyway, but I digress (maybe i am not really depressed, maybe i am just digressed).

But, no. I'm fine. Really, I'm fine.

Time to go write some really fine poetry, me thinks...

11 comments:

Pat said...

I love this post, it was so "randomly" good. I think your idea for a childrens book about grown-ups is brilliant!
As a fellow Michigander - we just need Spring!

Debra said...

Hey! I didn't know that you are also a fan of Gladys Taber! (Or else I forgot, which is quite likely, considering my memory...sigh...) Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about reading controversial stuff--sometimes I can handle it and sometimes I can't. So I'm trying to follow Grace and just read it when Grace is there holding my hand. heh... Blessings, Debra

Unknown said...

Come on! Tell us which song it is!

I told you that you can sing "A Visit from St. Nicholas" to the tune of "We Gather Together to Ask the Lord's Blessing."

Melissa said...

Oh I am so there...I have certain books that I have to sing...the girls tried to make the MIL sing one when she was here and she gave up and passed it to me.

I am so tired - bone weary tired and have zero motivation and I have a very good reason to be motivated right now...

In the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher "Wah, wah, wah, wah."

oshee said...

Wow..I can totally relate to this post. Every single word.

I sing more than a few books. Worse still tho is when the 7 yr-old wants to read an unbearably long book that she needs a bit of help with. We end up trading off reading pages, goes a ton faster.

I've had a migraine all week. (it rained over the weekend..set off the headache) It was really bad Tuesday but has been looming the rest of the week. I had a sympathetic thought for you during it all.

I have been fighting the blahs too. It is a tough fight. I admit to having allowed my little boys a bit more TV than I should..and those dishes haven't washed themselves yet, I'm waiting for it tho.

Keep up your own worthy fight!

Melodee said...

So funny! From the mouse to the "This is Mom" storybook. I quoted you in my blog!

Karen said...

I love the idea for your children's book! And I love reading blogs by "empty nesters," because that's what I want to be when I grow up. I love my three children, (ages 10, 13, 17), I DO! but you gals make the empty nest sound so lovely and peaceful, especially on days when I'm so tired! And your little grandson is such a sweetie pie.

Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

I know the dark days of winter make me want to sleep, sleep, sleep. I have heard that the old timers really followed the hours of light and dark...they went to bed when it got dark, or soon after and got up with the sun, or a tad before. Therefore, when it was time to get the crops in the ground, harvest etc...they were up and busy for long hours, but in the winter, they were in bed a lot longer...don't ya think it is our natural inclination to follow the season's that way? It is hard to do that in our busy, busy society however.

MissKris said...

Fickle, fickle Blogger! Today it lets me in, yesterday it hated me, haha! Hope you got my email! I just read your comment and I know exactly what you're saying about Baby Boy. At this stage in life, I feel Dylan is my bestest buddy in the whole wide world and it'd kill me if he didn't feel the same way. Yesterday we got down and wrestled on the floor for quite a spell and his squeals of unabashed laughter and "attacks" had me in hysterics. What warms my heart more than anything is when he'll be sitting playing, glance over at me, and it's like a little light goes on in his face that says, "Time to give Grandma some love!" and he'll come crawling over to me and up in to my lap for a big squeeze...then it's off to the toys again. They have a way of worming their ways into our hearts, don't they? Sigh....

Judy said...

Really. I do believe I have the best commenters of ALL.

I have a page of my book idea up on my inky fingers blog, if you are interested.

The link is on my sidebar.

www.judyh58b.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.