Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Saturday, November 10, 2007

Steenstra's Almond Santa Claus Cookie

The post below this one is a rerun. I've bumped it up because I have gotten some comments from actual Steenstra family members! Be sure to read them! Such high honors, as truly this is the best store bought cookie, ever.

Anyway...a woman in my town, whose family distributes the Steenstra's Almond Santa Claus Cookies, ran for public office this week and won.

Her opponent, who I hear is a lawyer, is planning to sue her based on the simple fact that she brought a box of Steenstra's Almond Santa Claus Cookies to a poling precinct and left them there for the workers.

These cookies do not have her or her family's name on them anywhere. She claims she always brings cookies along with her.

I never knew that this family (a simple google search of the name 'joanne voorhees' should bring you to several news links on this subject) distributed these cookies, but, thirty years ago I worked for a company that did accounts for businesses both small and large. Her family's company was, at the time, one of the small businesses whose accounts we processed.

When the door alarm sounded between 4:30 and 5:30 at my former place of employment a race was on to answer it, because when they brought the accounts they ALWAYS brought cookies. ALWAYS.

Good ones, too.

(and i wonder why i am fat and diabetic. good grief.)

Anyway. Subpoena me to court if you have to. I will tell you that this family has been sharing cookies for at least the last thirty years.

Now. I must go get a Steenstra's cookie. My favorite will always be Santa Claus on his horse. I will break Santa off so I can have the horse all to myself (this might be why santa doesn't bring me good stuff anymore) and even though I am an old beppe of 49, I will run the horse around a bit before I eat him.

It's tradition. I have to.

11 comments:

MissKris said...

I've never heard of Steenstra's cookies before...must be regionally sold. When I worked at a steam supply company in the 80s we had two accounts whose owners we LOVED to see come in...the owner of a French bakery and one that makes all flavors of popcorn that's sold commercially...Poppers' Supply, I think it was called. The bakery owner would bring a pick up truck full of bread and tell us to help ourselves...the popcorn guy would bring huge tins full of popcorn! And at Christmas time?!? Oh my!

Yvonne said...

So I googled those cookies - thinking I'll just see if they're available online - your two posts are basically the only thing that comes up - and some other almond cookie.....bummer! I want them!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Steenstra's Almond St. Claus Cookies are in S. FL. Found them in Publix in Pompano Beach.

Anonymous said...

They are made by: Creme Curls Bakery
5292 Lawndale Ave
Hudsonville, MI 49426 Map

Anonymous said...

Which Pompano Beach Publix did you find them and in which isle (I've searched in the cookie isle, but nothing)? I've been looking for these cookies e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! Please help. They're the best cookies I've ever had ....

Anonymous said...

Publix here in Atlanta has them but they aren't on the cookie aisle. They keep them in the bakery section. I just bought three boxes of them. Delicious!!

Anonymous said...

I live in Tampa, Fl now for 14 yrs, transplanted from Louisiana....I always shop next door at Publix....
one day I did my usual perusing of the bakery....my excuse for staying overweight...and I came across these fabulous cookies!
My fiance, who is originally from Minnesota, says to me..."Oh, my mom LOVES those! She bought me those all the time!'
Well, you know, I bought TWO packs.....the first pack that I brought home was GONE, I swear in 2 mins, between my fiance and myself!
I waited (and it was tough) 2 days to take the other pack to work and my co-workers inhaled the rest in just as short of time!

WE ALL LOVE THESE COOKIES!
And it's not even Christmas anymore, that's ok....Easter is right around the corner!

Thank you for making these wonderful cookies AND that someone had the GREAT IDEA of distributing them to FLORIDA!

Anonymous said...

these are great cookies!!!! available at meijer stores in nort east indiana as well. but they do have hydrogenated oils in them... bummer.

Karen Pettinelli said...

Not sure how old this column is, but I know Steenstra. They provide the best reason to cheat diets! I am from Philadelphia, and when in Zeeland/Holland, MI area, I buy a case and bring home. It's the one treat that the airport TSA people can't take from me!

Rachel Vos said...

Steenstra was my great-great-grandpa! ♥ but my grandpa Steenstra helped him in his buisness...

Tim Steenstra said...

We appreciate that comments and how much you enjoy the cookies. My dad was the last owner before we sold to Harold and Joanne Voorhees.