Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Friday, January 23, 2009

My Friday of Too Much Sitting


What a day today was. Mostly, I just sat. Sitting has the power to make me very tired.
Explaining this to THGGM who has worked all day is difficult.
Yet, I try.
Today I planned to leave the house at 9:30 to get my dad to his eye appointment at 10:10. At the appointed time, he was not here yet. So, I called him and woke him up from a nap. We did manage to make it in time. Although, I did go through two red lights. Not because I am the speeding daredevil sort. But my first attempt at stopping caused his ABS to go on and the thunking of the brake pedal freaks me out. Although I do believe that my going through red lights freaks my dad out, a little bit anyway. It wasn't so bad on the way back because his eyes were so dilated he couldn't see much.


The appointment took three hours. Three hours of sitting. Three hours of hearing an eye chart being read repeatedly. The eye doctor's waiting room usually allows for great 'people watching' but today seemed a slow day there and the people all unusually usual looking.

But, next came lunch. I was incredibly hungry. Normally I don't even start getting hungry for breakfast until about noon. But, I've been cooking oatmeal for THGGM and myself every morning and for some reason, whenever I eat oatmeal I am so hungry three hours later that I would eat anything. Or everything. Whatever.

So, my dad graciously offered to take me to Old Country Buffet. For some reason, and I am sure it was the oatmeal that did it, EVERYTHING looked wonderful to me. Having already spent three hours talking to my dad in between having his eyes dilated and the reading of the eye charts we had nothing left to say and took our lunch eating very seriously. OCB is a great place for recreational 'people watching' too. Although today everyone seemed incredibly normal.

Then it was on to the nursing home. Friday is BINGO day and my mom was waiting for us. She can no longer actually 'play' BINGO. There was an incident when she told me off for pointing out to my dad that she had a BINGO chip in her mouth. But, we won a few games for her and she does like to win prizes. The rest of the visit was lovely. She was happy. But, again, there was a lot of sitting involved in the afternoon also. Even 'people watching' at the home was anticlimactic, which is always a good thing at the nursing home.

Seven hours later when I arrived back home all I could do was sit. All that sitting made me soooo tired.

Really. I haven't found a way to explain this to THGGM, yet.

I've already had a nap, and now I'm on my way to bed.

Well. First I will tell you that the stuff written above isn't what I set out to write.

No. I was going to tell you how Jonge helped me decorate for Valentine's Day. The boy has a good eye for color and gave me some great suggestions that I took. But, later when I was looking at old pictures, I came to realize that he just remembered exactly how it all was last year and wanted it the same way. How can he remember that? Kids have amazing minds.

I was also going to tell you how yesterday I was FINALLY able to donate my blood at the blood plasma place. At my first attempt I needed a doctor's approval first. At my second attempt I had a fever and did actually end up being very sick. At my third attempt everything would have been fine but it took soooooo long (lots of sitting that day, too) that I couldn't donate because of how long it had been since I had last eaten. The fourth attempt went very well and I was in and out in under two hours. That I can handle. So, to sum up my experience this far, the only real pain is the prep work of getting all the little ducks in a row BEFORE they actually remove any of your plasma.

Okay. Now I'm going to bed. Tomorrow I shall try to donate for the second time.



5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Certain kinds of sitting are exhausting. Visiting in the hospital just about puts me under, and that's just about what you did.

MissKris said...

It's mentally exhuasting, Judy. To me, that's even worse than physical exhaustion. At least we know the cause of why we're physically pooped...but days like the one you had leave me totally wrung out.

anonymous said...

I agree about the plasma thing...if I could just walk in and have it taken out with no waiting I wouldn't care so much. I'm leaving in an hour to donate and I'm really not looking forward to it at all. I told my husband about the air in my line and he said "So they're trying to kill you?" and I said "yes, and I'm going anyway because I WILL go to Disney!"
:)
I hope you are able to do some Thrifting today! I love to see what you come up with.

daisymarie said...

How often can you donate? How much can you make?

Pat said...

I totally get the tiredness from sitting. It also makes me anxious which in turn makes me more tired, I don't know if that makes any sense - hopefully it does!