Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Friday, November 27, 2009

Fresh New Faces

There are fresh new faces, but some old ones are missing. Now the day wears on, with much hugging and kissing. (G. Johnson)

Thanksgiving Dinner at my brother-in-law and sister's home in Grant was lovely! The family, the food, the fun!

The most incredible thing happened on the drive up. For many years, THGGM and I would stop at my parent's home and drive 'up north' to Grant with them. It takes about 40 minutes, and it was always enjoyable. Last year, with just my dad, was quieter. It was SO obvious that my mom was missing for the first time - she had been living at the nursing home for almost a year and had adjusted to it nicely. So it didn't seem sad, really, just very different.

Normally, the Thanksgiving drive was the first time we would listen to Christmas music. This year, THGGM announced that he hoped I didn't mind, but he wasn't in the mood for that yet. So, he popped in his newest CD.

We were singing along, enjoying the late November look of Michigan. I'm always on the lookout for deer, either dead or alive. It's my contribution to our relationship.

The route we drive is a very familiar one. Never before have I seen large hawks in the area. I'm sure they have always been there, but I have never seen one.

I'm sure you know where this is going.

Right along the edge of the highway, on the closest tree branch possible, just sitting there like it was waiting for us, sat a very large hawk.

I pointed it out to THGGM, who said, "Are you going to be okay?"

The words where just out of his mouth when from his new CD, Carrie Underwood starts singing "Temporary Home".

Seriously.

My dad was one of those old faces that was missing yesterday. And, in the short video above (i took a video because pictures of rocking babies tend to blur) are the fresh new faces.

My dad was SO thankful that he got to know his four great grand children. They were not just pictures on a bedroom dresser. They are little souls that he got to hold in his arms.

We all miss him. But, we shall see him again. Someday.

(lyrics to last verse of Carrie Underwood's "Temporary Home")

Old man, hospital bed

The room is filled with people he loves

and he whispers, "don't cry for me,

I'll see you all someday"

He looks up and says,

"I can see God's face"

This is my temporary home

It's not where I belong

Windows in rooms that I'm passing through

This is just a stop on the way to where I'm going

I'm not afraid because I know

This was my temporary home.

1 comment:

Pat said...

This post made me cry, you see today is the second anniversary of my Mom's passing...from this temporary home. Thank you for this special post.