Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Sunday, December 16, 2012

I Made Something Today

This is a book I found at an antiques mall in Wisconsin in October.  I have wanted this book for years.  Barnes and Noble used to carry it, but it was $19.99 which seems a lot for someone like me who already owns a bunch of sewing books and still isn't very good at it.
But, this one was marked $8.00.  I thought about it for awhile and then noticed it was on a shelf marked 50% off.  For a measly four bucks I could not resist.
So today I remembered that there was a pattern for elf slippers in this book.  One is SUPPOSED to enlarge the pattern, but I kind of liked the size as it was.
Last week I'd been searching for something else when I found my small stash of wool felt.
Hmm.  But why would I want to make elf slippers?  I couldn't come up with a valid reason.  Oh, well.
But as I went along I thought "How FUN would it be for a few of these children I know to find just ONE elf slipper on their floor on Christmas morning?"  My stitches are horribly uneven, but I could sort of see it coming together.  Then I remembered that I had just come across a very old leather wallet that had been my dad's.  Suddenly it felt like he and I were on an adventure together.  And look at that sole!  The fold in the wallet just makes the whole thing look rather convincing, wouldn't you say?
So, I'll ask my busy Daughter if it sounds like a good idea to her, and maybe, just maybe one of Santa's helpers might leave a small clue behind on Christmas morning.

9 comments:

Janie Fox said...

This is fantastic. It makes me wish you had an etsy shop!!

rebecca said...

Yep! That leather sole IS convincing. What a great idea.

rebecca said...

Yep! That leather sole IS convincing. What a great idea.

Alice said...

It's always the little things that make it magic . . . I remember waking up to far off sleigh-bells, (in Los Angeles), at 1am early one Christmas Day, when I was 8 years old.

Unknown said...

This is delight-full!

Mary said...

Oh my goodness, how cute! Looks genuine to me. Oh to see the wonder and delight in a child's eyes upon finding that Christmas morning. You do know those grands of yours are abundantly blessed!

Yvonne said...

I LOVE that idea!!!

Anonymous said...

So your father will be included in this Christmas and those to come via a slipper.I am sure those children will want you to send the slipper to Santa, so be prepared. Maybe you can mail (which ever way, E- or snail or phone) Santa and he can answer you may keep it for putting on show to remind elves in years to come to keep their slippers on! DM

Tournesol said...

That is so cute! Years ago when my boys were little, they came out of the market with their dad and found a tiny little shoe on the ground. It had gold threading and beads on red velvet. Something from another country or custom. They looked around for the owner and then decided it must belong to an elf. We have had that shoe on our tree every year for the past 12 years
: )