Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Saturday, January 05, 2013

I Did Stuff

These two pictures are from yesterday's sleep-over.

Both Jonge and Famke were playing games using abcya.com  - a site I had just bookmarked to both computers.   This is the site they use for their computer class at school, so they were already very familiar with it.

Of course, that left me with no computer.  Hmm.

So I grabbed my camera and took pictures of them being all sweet and adorable in their new Christmas pajamas.
Even though THGGM was on vacation this week, I am happy to report that we did not enter an antique mall or thrift store except to pick up something that was already paid for, and to drop off over THREE HUNDRED books.

Yes.  You read that correctly.  THREE HUNDRED books.

THGGM was very pleased, even though he had to carry them up stairs, to the car, and into the thrift store.

And I'm not nearly done.

I still plan to visit thrift stores and antiques malls, but I am happy to report that I did not find it difficult at all to get rid of books.  Even books that I love.

The desk that Jonge is sitting at is the desk we bought in Wisconsin in October and drove it home with one of its legs hanging out the back door.  It works PERFECTLY in the den holding the computer, which had been in the kitchen.  The flip top holds the keyboard and mouse when not it use, and the drawer nicely holds my cameras and all the cords, books, etc.

As always, there were things that we did not get to, but we have made progress.  Once the three main areas in the basement get sorted out, I plan to move on to the kitchen and dining room.  Anyone in need of dishes?

If I were one to choose a word for 2013, the word I would choose would be NOW.  Since I have so many ideas for things I would like to do, I've realized that when an idea strikes, I need to do it NOW.  But there are so many extenuating circumstances, I'm going to mull that word over a bit before I commit to it.   For now anyway (haha).

Oh, and the hot cloths are helping my eye.  It looked absolutely disgusting when I woke up this morning, but by tonight it seems to be improving.

The next thing on my list is hibernation.  Isn't that what January is for?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly, in olden times winter was used to repair utensils (man often making pegs for hayrakers and washing lines, women spinning and knitting as long as light lasted). that "light lasting"was the keyword. Artificial light i.e. not sunlight, was not cheap and often dangerous with regards to things getting on fire, so mostly only daytime was used for working, with the exception of thrushing all kinds of corn and the baker at work. Nowadays we forget to take a step back, what with all the holidays and wintertrips. I try to slow down a little bit in winter, but it is not easy when the temps are up as high as now and the roads are not wintery trickery. Nice your eye is getting better. DM

MissKris said...

I have to admit purging was such an addictive high once I got started as we prepared to move to Michigan, I've kept on with it here as well. It truly IS a liberating feeling!!

MissKris said...

Oh, and I checked out the abcya site and bookmarked it, too. Looks like something my boys will enjoy too.

Rebecca said...

I should have read this post before yesterday when I put all the books back on the shelf! Besides all that we have at home, my husband has a wall full of them in his office! What to do? What to do? Why is it so hard???? (Oh, you said it wasn't hard for you.)

How is your eye. That certainly sounds painful.

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Try my mom's old recipe for stys. It recently did the trick when my daughter woke with eyes like you described.
Place a tea bag soaked in hot water and squeezed out on said eye/eyes. Repeat a few tiumes until tea water is warm.
Then repeat a few more times during the day. Regular or green tea...both work fine.
I used it on a white head at the bottom of my lower lip recently and was amazed that it withdrew the infection.
(((hugs)))Pat

joyce said...

hi Judy, you are on my bucket list (that doesn't yet exist in the actual world). I would love to sit in your house, wander around in your house, and laugh with you. I love your attitude, your casual honesty, your thoughts.
you may not want to hear this but.... are any of your family nursing a baby? if you could get a few drops of breast milk into your eye you might be amazed at its healing abilities. When our kids were young, we used it to cure pink eye more than once.

I like your word for the year. I'm pondering a word as well.
And I like how you had 300 books to give away, and still have lots of books. Books are awesome, and it feels amazing when ou give a lot of them away.
I've actually given more away this year than what I've accumulated, but still feel as though I'm being buried alive. Is middle age changing me in more ways than one?!

Mary said...

Happy to read your eye is better.
That desk sounds perfect for the computer. Pretty pictures as always! Hibernation for January sounds good to me.

Mitzi said...

Glad to hear your eye is getting better. I agree with Joyce-I'd love to visit with you and tour your house. You are a very interesting person and your house seems so charming.

Pat said...

Those sweetie pie grands of your are sure growing fast. Tell them to stop.
Three hundred books, huh? That's a lot of toteing and hauling. But, that makes room for more, yipee!
Want one more sty remedy? Probably not. Here it is any way. Put a hard boild egg on the eye lid while the egg is still warm. Don't ask me....I don't know where I got that or even if it works, but you can eat it if it doesn't!

Amy said...

How nice for you to be getting rid of some old stuff and making room for some new! Your home looks so cozy and inviting! ~Amy