Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Saturday, July 06, 2013

10 in 10

Wow.  How did it get to be Saturday night?  I do not know.  Here are my 10 random things in 10 minutes.
1.  Still had leftovers from our July 4th breakfast, so we ate them.  I just bet we will eat them tomorrow also.  Good thing we like it!
2.  This morning I got a haircut.  THGGM still cuts my hair, or what hair I have left.  I don't mind so much that my hair is gray I just don't want it to go away.
3.  I've made several purchases using Barnes and Noble coupons.  This week I added another Duplo Lego set, and completed my "Pookie" collection by adding "Let's Dance Little Pookie" and "Little Pookie".  I love these books by Sandra Boynton.  And I especially love hearing Jonge read them to the younger kids.
4.  Today I did a bit of thrift shopping.  Just the one store around the corner from me.  I found more hardwood blocks for $1.50.  I didn't need any more.  Really, I didn't.  But who could pass up a bag full of blocks for that price?  These were well loved.  I'm thinking that I might just put them in the rock box by the dirt pile and not worry about what happens to them.
5.  At Cost Plus World Market today I FINALLY found a knitting doll!  Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out.  I remember doing this as a kid, but I just used a spool with four nails at the top.  This one is a really cute knitting doll.  Cute matters to me just a teeny bit more than function.  Although I hate to admit that.
6.  My hope for today was to move around the furniture in our bedroom.  I didn't get to that.  I feel really bad about that.  Although not bad enough to get up and do it now.  Nope.  Not that bad.  Or is it "badly"?  Hmm.  Possibly what is holding me back is the memory of that large tulip picture that fell off the wall and shattered into a million tiny pieces behind my nightstand/dresser/desk.  I'll have to deal with that when the furniture gets moved.  Can you sense the laziness, or is it justifiable tiredness, that I'm experiencing?
7.  I did give Zeke his July haircut.  That wears me out.  I did a fairly good job, all things considered.  One rear leg still needs to be shaved.  This gives him sort of a lopsided look.  And sadly, on the side of the unshaved leg I shaved a bit to close to the skin.  Poor dog.  But I figure that if THGGM cuts my hair, and does it for free, I am certainly not going to pay to have the dog groomed.  Or maybe I will.  I suppose I could cut corners somewhere else.  But then I'd have to stop buying fun toys and books.  Which I don't see happening.  So, I guess that's where it stands.  THGGM cuts my hair and I shave the dog.  Everybody wins!
8.  Today, in the middle of the afternoon, I suddenly got very depressed.  What do you do when you get suddenly depressed?  THGGM took me out for ice cream.  We don't do that very often, what with me being diabetic and all that.  But today we made an exception.  Sadly, it didn't work.  So we went to Cost Plus World Market.  I found three new Pez dispensers and the refills for them.  That made me a wee bit happier. But not the kind of happiness that lasts long.  THGGM asked what else would help.  So I told him, "I would like a Whopper with cheese and extra pickles".  Apparently for all of his charm and other good qualities, he didn't believe me.  He said, "Would you like a chili dog?"  Finally, after 35 years of marriage, I managed to reply, "What part of I want a Whopper with cheese and extra pickles do you not understand!?"  So I'm guessing my blood sugar isn't so great tonight.  And I still feel depressed.  But life is good.  And so is having ice cream first and then a Whopper.  Once every five years or so.
9.  Before crawling into bed last night I ordered a new book for my Kindle.  This could be dangerous.  I went to the website of an author I've been reading for years, only to find that she wrote a memoir that came out in 2008.  HOW did I miss THIS?!  I guess I have been busy the past five years or so.  Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far, and if it's great I'll be sure to let you know.
10.  The highlight of my day was rocking Broeder.  He is such a sweet baby.  I even got to change his teeny tiny diaper.
Well, that's ten.  Now I am off to bed to read my NEW book, which I should have read five years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Judy, go ogle: afbeeldingen punnikklosjes and: punniken op een punnikklosje. The last one is Dutch, but without text and words, using a knitting doll as in doll and shows you without any words how to do the technique, I find it is the best instructionvideo around! The last part of that blog is about starting and finishing open ended on a sixspoke modern hardplastic "doll".
Stick for now to the four you have and let Famke have fun with it too, If the (sharp) hook was not with the doll, any kind of blunt tipped darning needle is OK too, we used that all the time, but our doll was a big spool of wood out of mums sewingbox with 4 small nails, yours might have been too, having a Frisian father! My dad was sometimes known as: knooimannegie. which means something like: making-do DIY-er. Well, that should be mine too "making-do.DIY woman". That is why I mentioned the first blog, because I am certain someone in your family or neighbourhood is able to make a hole through a piece of round wood, as big as the doll is. You know, boys overhere made very long "braids" on a spool, to use as bridles on a boy (horse) play. But maybe Jonge thinks a doll is too much of a girly thing in the long run, so just a (I would use the wooden handpiece, which I saved from a spoiled umbrella, it already has half the whole in it, see, making do) boyish knittingdoll could have the effect of having him make long "tails". Using a darning needle has the advantage that you can thread the wool etc. through it and let the needle drop through the hole in the doll, then just start "knitting". Just make sure you always watch where the tails and needle are left, there are too many small children and Zeke to leave a tail and needle unobserved, you know what I mean. I saved the nylon umbrellafabric too, pick up spoiled umbrella's from the street, my goal is to make a bicyclettecover with them. Have fun, DM. (I think I know where your feeling depressed stems from: there is no more looking forward to a small arrival, he has arrived, you have enjoyed thatand you are just having the grandbaby blues, it happens!).