Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Friday, September 27, 2013

My Day Off

Wow.  I absolutely LOVE what I am doing in this phase of my life.  Every once in a while I will stumble across a calender from my past.  I do not know either how or why I did all of that.  It was insane.  At least for me, being the stay at home and mind your own business kind of personality, I'm sure that at some point I did actually go crazy.  Or at least shut down completely.  But now?  I love this kind of being busy.  I am busy at home taking care of energetic bodies who keep me hopping.
But today is another story.  I'm home alone.  In my head I am belting out the chorus to Helen Reddy's song "Leave Me Alone".  I even refused the dog entrance to my pretty pink bathroom this morning.  No TV, no Pinterest (yet), no magazines.  I've just been sitting here thinking and editing pictures from this past week.
I've also been thinking about just how quickly time flies by.  Broeder will be three months old tomorrow.  I just do not know how this can be possible.  Especially when thinking that Christmas is less than three months away.  Certainly by now someone would have thought of a way to slow down time.  Seems like the Mayans tried, but that didn't work out either.  
I'm thinking that this afternoon I might head outside with my Kindle or a good solid hardcover book.  I almost did that yesterday, but there apparently was a mass bird choir congregating in a bush.  It was such a cacophony that I could not concentrate.  I mentioned it to THGGM when he got home, and he remarked that if I hadn't mentioned it he would never have noticed it.  And I'm the one who loves birds.  Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE quiet?  I'm rather 'Grinchy' about noise.  
Over the summer I started taking a diabetes medication.  I'd high hopes of it doing everything it claims to do.  Ugh.  It's not.  I don't seem to have too much of a problem with food.  I've adapted well to avoiding high carb foods - mainly breads and pastas.  It's stress that I cannot control, and I don't know if you've noticed this, but life is very stressful.  I'm thinking I just may have to avoid the news altogether and stick with reruns of Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Jeopardy.  
I have been working very hard at getting enough sleep.  So far, it's working.  I'm making sure to get at least eight hours IN BED.  Not sure how much of that time is spent sleeping, as it takes a bit of reading for me to get to sleep.  Lately I've been reading "Chicken Every Sunday" (My Life with Mother's Boarders) by Rosemary Taylor.  I am loving it!  I think I've already mentioned how less weird my dreams have been since I stopped reading Civil War books before bed.  
In other strange news, I've developed a craving for dill pickles.  The small kind.  At lunch one day this week I got out the jar of pickles only to notice that only three were left.  I instructed Kado to put one on each of our plates.  Feintsje, who also adores dill pickles was horrified!  He kept repeating in such a desperate voice "Only one pickle Beppe?  Only one?  Only oooooooone pickle Beppe?  Only ooooooone?"  I totally understood his lament.  Living in a world with only one pickle for lunch is tough for everyone.  My thoughts went to lecturing him on first world problems, but then I thought better of it.  By the next time he came for lunch there were unlimited pickles for everyone.  But of course, then he only wanted one.  
Well I just got a call and now I have a dinner date for tonight.  It had crossed my mind to actually cook something myself but I don't want to be too crazy on my day off.  At different times in my life I've made actual attempts to try to enjoy cooking - and I have come close - but the cleaning up part - ugh.  I've never enjoyed that.  Maybe someday.  I've pinned enough recipes to my Pinterest boards and I own enough cookbooks to heat the house for the winter, but I use them only for entertainment purposes presently.  And truly, it is much cheaper entertainment than say, going to a movie and buying popcorn.  
So today I really was going to accomplish at least one or two great things.  But, no.  Instead I thought thoughts and dreamed dreams, and dang it, I am GOOD at that.

3 comments:

Mitzi said...

Did you go to Allegan today. We did-very busy-glad the rain stayed away.
No big purchases, but loved buying bittersweet and sweet annie. Fall feels so good. I think I am nesting.
Bought a Christmas gift at Meijers today-can't believe it's only 3 months away..

Judy said...

YES!!! I saw the bittersweet, but I bought a really great first edition book. I've never seen it that busy. And to think I thought that everyone would be at Art Prize! (i tried to email you, but it won't let me send it. says something is wrong with the email address)

Rebecca said...

You're really good at writing, too! I always chuckle at the ways you express yourself - and identify with much - like the aversion to clean-up after cooking (and in my case, cooking in general)...

My grandma made the BEST dill pickles! What I wouldn't give to sink my teeth into one of 'em. Yep. Just one would do.

Well, I'd better get my fall decorations out before it turns Christmas.

Stay health & stay away from stress! D'ya hear me?