Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Sunday, April 29, 2018

Random Randomness

So, I see it has been two weeks since I've posted anything here.  How odd.  It isn't like I haven't been around, as I have been.
But really, the weeks are much the same.  The grand kids come.  THGGM and I occasional go places and do things.  Nothing seems new, but also, nothing feels the same.  I'm not sure exactly why, except that it has been a very different year.  But then, what year isn't?   One thing that hasn't changed?  I still have random thoughts.  I know, you were worried that maybe I'd somehow ORGANIZED my thoughts into something partially coherent, but, no, that has not happened.
Random thought number one:  Today we had planned to go to the Allegan Antiques Flea Market.   As it ended up, I did not get to go (don't ask).  THGGM and Oldest Son went.  Apparently, there was a LARGE turnout for the first sale of the year.  Hopefully I will make it to a couple of them.
#2:  While they were gone, I spent my time working on some drawings.  I'd like to draw all six of the grand kids.  Just for fun, which so far, it has been!  I've got a long way to go and I know it.  I'm using old pictures, ones that I have only snap shots off.  Mostly I want to work on shading and blending skin tones.  It's not something I'm good at.  Let's hope I can stick with this until I'm finished.  There is a tendency within me to start things with a passion, then as it gets harder or I hit a bump my interest and enthusiasm wanes.
#3:  If you've read here for long, you may remember (that is if you don't have anything exciting in your own life) that we seem to attract mice at weird times and in sundry places.  This week, in an extremely odd place, I found evidence of a mouse.  That night THGGM set a trap, as one is wont to do when one's wife tells you to.  The next morning when I got up I was greeted by THGGM telling me NOT to go into the kitchen.  I figured the dog had left me a little something.  Then he said we caught a mouse.  Hmm.  In the kitchen?  That isn't were we set the trap.  So, apparently, a trap in the den caught just the front right foot of said mouse, and he was running through the house dragging the trap with him.  I did not SEE him running like that, only heard it.  We must underestimate what one agile mouse can do while dragging a trap, as THGGM thought for sure he had it cornered in the kitchen by closing the two metal pet gates at both doorways.  Except that OUR mouse was somehow able to make his way over the gate and under a heavy cupboard in our dining room.  I know this not only because of the sound, but by placing my camera on the floor and snapping pictures until I got a good one.  From this point, I fled the scene and THGGM did whatever he did to get rid of the mouse.  Frankly my dears, I don't even want to know!
#4:   Do any of you watch the Decorah Eagle cam?  I've been watching for the many years now.  This year it has been particularly heart-breaking as Dad Decorah left the nest for the night one day last week and has not been seen since.  I do like birds, and enjoy watching them and learning about them, but this up close look into how they live has been incredible.  There are three babies still in the nest, being fed by a weary yet able Mom.  If that sounds of interest to you go to https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/ I find it fascinating.  The grand kids enjoy watching this too.  The new cameras they added this year can zoom in for a detailed look at these birds, and also pan out to the gorgeous area in Iowa where they make their home.  Until discovering these eagles, the closest I've ever come to a nest was the year a pair of robins built a nest on the sill right outside our closet window.  It was amazing to watch the daily changes.
#5: Friday I finished binge watching (that is something that i've never truly done before!) Downton Abbey, all six seasons from beginning to end.  I had watched a couple of seasons, but not the first two, and all of the final season that I had seen was the finale.  It was interesting to see it all.  Now all I want to do is talk with an English, or Scottish, or Irish accent.  It would also be nice if people started calling me M'lady, but I do not see that in my future.  I'm more of the housemaid type. But.., I can dream.., can't I?
#6  I'm presently reading "North and South" by Elisabeth Gaskell.  I guess I'm stuck in England.  This is the first book I've read by her, with the exception of reading ABOUT the biography she wrote on Charlotte Bronte.  I'll let you know when I'm finished what I think about it, but so far I like it!  Very good before-bed reading, which seems to be all the reading I do lately. 
#7:  This morning, shortly after THGGM left for breakfast I wrote a list of possible things to write about here.  I do that rather often.  And then when I sit down to write I read over the list and think - why would I ever want to write about that?!  So, maybe someday.  I should probably start with that interesting conversation I overheard a few weeks ago at a restaurant.  I'll give it some thought. 

Time to go.., I hear an eagle in the background calling for me...

No comments: