Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Saturday, September 22, 2018

Pumpkins!

There are a variety of ways to make a cloth pumpkin!
Even though no children come to play with me on Monday anymore (they are all in school all day) I've still managed to make a few things on Monday, and pretty much everyday other day too!

This one is just a widowed wool sock!
So, I've tried just about every idea out there for making cloth pumpkins.
A few years ago I made a few that were, for me anyway, complicated.
This year I went for quick and easy.
The first few I made by tracing a large circle, sewing it like a yo-yo and filling it with stuffing.
Then I tried some smaller ones in which the inside was a rolled up sock.
I even made one where I liked the look of the sock alone, so never bothered to add any fabric to cover it.
After I had more than a dozen already made, I found on Pinterest the EASIEST cloth pumpkin EVER.
I REALLY REALLY TRULY TRULY mean that!




I thought I was done, but noticed I had nary a pumpkin in my kitchen and HAD TO remedy that!
The last three pictures show the ones I made using this easy peasy idea.
All you do is use a square of fabric about the size of a cloth napkin.
Set a roll of toilet paper in the center.
If you want a pumpkin that is a bit more rounded, wrap a plastic bag or two around the toilet paper.
Bring up the center of all four sides to the top of the toilet paper roll.
If you can, press them in, if you can't don't worry, the next step will hold them in!
Now take the four corners, and one at a time fold them into the center of the roll.



I've used different things as a stem.
In the top picture, the bigger one is the first pumpkin I made using this easy method.
Since I had just written Fall on the chalkboard, I just stuffed the old piece of sidewalk chalk into the center to hold everything while I looked for a wooden "stem".
But, who knew?
The chalk looked GREAT so I left it there.
The next few I made using old wooden clothespins as stems, and tied either twine or raffia around them.
And for this last one I used a wooden spool of thread.
What I LOVE most about these is that when it is no longer fall, I do not have to store them!
All I shall need to do is pull the "stem" out, and put it back where it came from.
The napkins or fabric scraps can be folded and put away in the drawer in the kitchen or into my fabric bits stash.  And, well, we all know what the toilet paper is for.
So, that's it!  So extremely simple.  There was not one thing that I had to go out and buy to make these.
Let me know if you try this!

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Creativity at its best!!

The PrairieHomemaker said...

Judy
I love your cloth pumpkins! I may try my hand at them as well!
It sounds lie the perfect October craft for our church ladies once a month meeting too.
hugs
mel