Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Friday, December 07, 2018

Ten Random Thoughts For a Friday Afternoon

Hmm.  For some reason I couldn't add anything else to my post below, so I shall just continue it as Random Thoughts.
On Tuesday THGGM and I spent the afternoon emptying out our kitchen.  When you have a lot of furniture, and I mean A LOT of furniture, it becomes like one of those puzzles that requires you to move every piece around just to get things out of one place and into another.
Now, we COULD just get rid of some furniture, but until we get the floors done, we aren't entirely sure what we will want and what will have to go!
At least that's how we are looking at it now!
Random Thought 1 - Until my art room was recently filled up with furniture from other places, I was working on a few projects of my own.
I found a simple way to stabilize my toilet paper snowman.  I made a couple of slits to the top two pieces, folded an empty paper towel tube and used it to hold all three pieces together.  I did use a little bit of glue on his hat, and added two brown leather button for eyes and a small amount of holiday trim to his hat.
I've thought about adding a few more touches, but I think that might be over-kill.  We shall see.
Random Thought 2 - This was my first attempt with this very large wooden quilt hoop.
These letters seemed too small, so I've since changed them out for large letters out of red and black buffalo check flannel.
Some fake red berries and a different scarf seem to have improved it.
I'm still not sure.
And, I can't get to it today, so.., I'm thinking about what else it needs.
Random Thought 3 - I've been doing some Christmas reading.  Last year I found a couple of authors from Maine that I really liked.  I've been using Abebooks.com, as it seems that anything you could possibly want is available there.  I'm gathering a bunch of books to read this winter, hoping I get to them all, eventually.
Random Thought 4 - Yesterday we left home as soon as THGGM got done with work at 12:30.  We went to Arnie's for lunch and then on to an eye doctor's appointment.  Lately, I have had great difficulty seeing much of anything, so I thought I'd better go, instead of waiting until it was time for new glasses.  I warned THGGM that there was this one time I took my parents to this eye doctor, and left FOUR HOURS later.  As I recall, they missed a wedding that day.  ANYWAY.., we were there for THREE HOURS, so, I guess I shouldn't even mention it.  I left there having found out I will need cataract surgery in both eyes.  This will happen in January.  It also means that I will have to go to that office building SEVEN times in January.  But, I will soldier on.  I really don't WANT to, but I have grown rather accustom to seeing, and think I would be more tempted to use a white cane to whack at people than to navigate.  So, there's that.  I also really want to read those books I'm lining up for winter.
Random Thought 5 - It's funny to think that we thought we would have some time to kill between the eye doctor appointment and Jonge's basketball game, but we actually arrived at that a bit late.  SO glad that we went!  This was one of THE most intense games so far.  Jonge played almost the entire game.  At the end of the fourth quarter they were tied, so the game went into over-time.  AND THEY WON!  YAY!
Random Thought 6 - It is incredibly noisy here right now, at 2:51 in the afternoon.  The work started sometime around 9.  I don't know about you, but I do not do well with noise.  Zeke is whining to go out, yet there is no door available to let him out of at the moment.  Presently he is eyeing a window, apparently thinking of breaking out of here and into the backyard.  I just may follow him...
Random Thought 7 - I wish I could tell him it will all be over soon, but, as much as they are getting closer, there is still a ways to go!  Oh, and on Monday?  On Monday we get new doors and windows in our breeze-way!  I am looking forward with GREAT anticipation to that, as our breeze-way becomes an ice box in the winter.  The louvers on two of the windows and both doors no longer close tightly.  I suppose that goes with their age, as they have been faithfully doing their job for sixty-three straight years.  It always makes me laugh when people come into our house to do work and make comments like "that's to be expected in an old house".  This is the NEWEST house we have ever lived it!  Oh well, I guess perspective is everything.  Or not.  Whatever.
Random Thought 8 - You may be thinking that after Monday things will return to normal around here.  Nope.  Not quite yet.  The first week of January we are getting new carpet in our living room/dining room.  This means we will have to play that silly puzzle game AGAIN.  This time it will require the removal of THREE large cabinets FILLED with china, ironstone, and assorted glassware.  That ought to be fun.  Oh, and we shall also have to move out our piano, which has been in the same spot for 11 years now.  THGGM pointed out that he probably should paint behind it while it's out.  Yes.  I kind of think he should.  Didn't know he hadn't.
Random Thought 9 - Our neighbor who helped us out with our kitchen floor on Monday also plays the piano (I don't think there is much he cannot do!).  He knows a guy who may be interested in helping us out with getting our piano tuned and a couple of keys fixed.  Since I only play it for fun, I'm not fussy about perfection, just would like to be able to play it without its out-of-tune-ness making me crazy.  I can't play it now anyway, as I cannot see well enough to read music.  All I can see now are black dots, everywhere.
Random Thought 10 - One last thought.  Last night, as we were moving the last small things out of the kitchen I thought to grab the Keurig and some K-cups.  I put them in the bathroom, which already had Zeke's food and water in it - temporarily.  By this time today I'm starting to think I should have a coffee bar permanently in place in my bathroom closet.  It is convenient.  Really.
Bonus Random Thought -  GOODNESS!  The things you learn in a day listening to two guys sub-contracted by Home Depot to install floors.  I could write another blog post just about that!  But, I won't.  Got to find out what I can do about poor Zeke, who is getting ready to dance the Charleston.  I'm pretty sure if he doesn't get outside soon, there WILL be a pool underneath him - and it won't be the swimming kind - like in "It's A Wonderful Life", if you know what I mean!

No comments: