Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Irreconcilable Differences (First appeared in May of 2006) In Honor of Valentine's Day


Goodness.

If Irreconcilable Differences is a reason to get divorced, I cannot believe that I am still married.


The Husband God Gave Me and I have SO many irreconcilable differences that we could marry and divorce every day for the rest of our lives.

His snoring is enough to drive me insane. I like to sleep ALL night. But, I no longer can, as I must kick start him back to life. He quits breathing so often I cannot believe he is still alive. Hence, I don't dare sleep. He goes to the sleep clinic August 1st. The papers came today. Maybe we can reconcile this one.

He likes celebrity news shows. I like the History Channel. He has a habit of changing the channel when I am in the middle of something. "Oh. Were you watching that?" If my eyes are on the TV, chances are I am 'watching that'. Arghhh.

Whenever he unwraps something, he hands the paper to me. I do not know why. I DO save a lot of scraps, but not shrink plastic or candy wrappers.

THGGM is terribly fussy about his ironing. He will not let me iron his shirts. Says he doesn't want two or three creases going down his arm. Well. Imagine that.

Presently, I only own five pairs of shoes. Black heels, ivory heels, beige slip-on flats, black clogs and my favorite Dr. Shoals. He has developed long term relationships with more pairs of shoes than I have ever owned in my life. If he asks "Can you bring me my brown loafers" I usually end up getting a review of brown vs. burgundy. In a dark closet, they look the same to me.

Oh, and his belt MUST always match his shoes. Even though his belt no longer shows.

I am the owner of six pair of identical navy blue socks. He, on the other hand, owns socks in every hue of every color in the spectrum.

I love to play Scrabble. He doesn't. Yet, he always wins.

THGGM has shy kidneys. My kidneys are extremely outgoing.

He likes to sleep on a nicely made bed with smooth sheets. I could sleep on a dog, six magazines, a book and a pair of jeans.

He also needs a fan going to sleep. I like to sleep in quiet.

I love to read in bed. Until the book falls and I am asleep. He likes to sleep in the dark. Pitch dark.

He loves the beach. I love the woods.

THGGM loves to eat Chinese food from the mall. Ack. Double Ack.

When he is ill, he wants to be left totally alone. When I am ill I want to keep telling him just how ill I am. And how even if he has had the same illness, mine is just a bit worse.

I love books. He thinks they make dandy coasters. My beloved copy of "My Utmost for His Highest" looks like it has the Olympic symbol on the cover.

It is important to him that his darks and whites are washed separately. It matters not a wit to me. I do not intend for anyone to see my underwear, ever. Anyway, 'bluing' has always been known to perk up whites.

I like the dining room chairs just as they are. He wants to paint them black.

He said "Let's take up the horrid carpet in the bedroom!" I said, "No. There is a sticky pad under it." We now have sticky pad carpet in our bedroom. I don't like it. He won't talk about it.

THGGM likes to get where we are going. I like to meander like a shallow stream.

He likes to sit on the front porch so he can see everything that's going on. I like to be in the fenced in backyard were I can pretend that nothing is going on.

He likes sun. I like shade. Which means, he gets tan, I glow in the dark.

I like museums and nature preserves. He likes shopping malls and crowded art festivals.

He likes all curtains open and blinds up. I would wear a burka if I knew were to get one.

THGGM irons linen napkins to relax. He also clips coupons to relax. And, he cleans the house to relax. The only way I can relax is if I take Vicodin - which I don't. So I never relax. I sit very very still and LOOK relaxed, but I am not.

Classical music. We both like it. Although, he likes Bach adaggio's that make me depressed. I like Beethoven and trilly happy sounds. With the exception of Moonlight Sonata. I do like that.

He likes country music. It sounds like a migraine to me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we approach our TWENTY-EIGHTH Wedding Anniversary I will attempt to find time to drone on about what we HAVE reconciled.

But, most importantly, I love him and he loves me. And that love covers a multiple of irreconcilable differences.

32 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Viva la difference! But I think you've reconciled these. You fully allow him to think and do all of these wrong things. :)

Sarah said...

We have the History Channel/ not History Channel irreconcilable difference, as well as the fan/ SILENCE while we sleep irreconcilable difference. Along with countless others. At 14 years, we are half-way to your landmark! We must be on our way!

Heather Plett said...

LOL! I can relate on alot of these, but on some of them, I take your husband's "side" and on some I take yours. :-)

Good luck with the sleep clinic thing - that's one difference I was VERY happy to reconcile!

oshee said...

I understand so well. I've only been married 11 years. My husband went to the sleep clinic last year. It is very nice to not have to nudge him to start his breathing anymore.

I think these irreconcilable things are what keeps us sane. We need to have different preferences. We are after are two parts of a whole, not identical pieces of a puzzle.

Anonymous said...

I love that list. I think about my husband and I's "irreconcilable differences" all the time. There are more important things (love being one of them.) :-) OH! And I am shocked about the shoes. I have tons of shoes and it drives hubby crazy...never thought of it the other way around.

Kayla said...

That list is so similar to ours it's not even funny. I love reading your blog. You are such a wit! I think I might link this post and do one of my own.

Anonymous said...

Rather proves that staying married and continuing to love someone is basically a choice, doesn't it? I think that there are a few marriages truly made in heaven but most of us have one like you describe!! We learn patience, how to appreciate the smallest of things and how much peace is worth I think...speaking for myself anyway. And it has helped me focus more on my Heavenly Father and Bridegroom than what I might have had life been more perfect.

Melodee said...

I am SO TOTALLY LINKING to this tomorrow in my blog. You rock!

Susie said...

Hi,
Came here from Mel's. We're approaching 39 years of marriage. I truly believe you have to keep working at your marriage all the time. The differences my husband and I have would be the things that I would probably miss the most if he were no longer here. Don't want to even think about that...

deedee said...

I stopped by via Mel, and am glad I did. You have touched on some of the very true quirks of relationships. Our 13th anniversary is next week, sure to be followed by many more, as irreconciliable as we may be.

Anonymous said...

Stopped by after visiting Mel. Wow did you hit it on the head. Tuesday will be 25 years for hubby and me. Our list of differences could make your hair curl. We do have alot of love though to fill those cracks. It's funny though, most of the women I know tell me that if anything ever happened, divorce/death, they truly don't think they would marry again. I think women are much stronger alone than men are.

MissKris said...

Hi, Judy! I came over from Mel's blog as well and sure enjoyed my visit. In fact, YOUR entry inspired the one I wrote this morning if you'd like to stop by and see what my Dear Hubby's and my irreconcilable differences are. We long-married's are a rare breed in this world...I think by posting entries like these and showing the younger kids that even OUR marriages aren't perfect might give them a little insight. We've become such a selfish bunch of people in this world...everything is always me, me, me...that people tend to forget we're not the ONLY ones in a relationship...we have to consider the "other guy" too. Great post! Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Anonymous said...

Here via Mel---thank you for this charming, honest look at the differences in marriage.

Congratulations on your approaching 28th anniversary. It's no small thing.

Judy said...

Thank you for all of your kind words!

Ginger said...

Husband and I just chuckled all the way through reading this. Thanks for a great post!

Antique Mommy said...

Great post. Dr. Ruth once said she knew a couple that divorced after 70 years of marriage and when she asked why, the wife said "I just couldn't take another week." Who knows, maybe he snored.

Happy 28th!

Anonymous said...

Here via Mel's. What a fun post to read! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Also here from Mel's post...We have many similar "irreconciliable differences" and we're approaching 15 years together. It is so easy to give up and very hard to stay committed (without getting committed), but the benefits are incredible. A life partner in every single sense of the word. Congratulations and a wonderful post!

Rebecca said...

I suppose we have some irreconcilable differences (he's neat; I'm not) but we are supposedly extremely compatible. (According to our pre-marital counseling over two decades ago and also that we have very few disagreements...things like buying a house and car together are ridiculously easy because we have the same tastes and preferences)

This is not always a good thing.

As my mother sometimes says, if both of you always agree and are very similar, one of you is redundant.

I often feel redundant.

Plus, since we share some of the same faults, without counterbalancing strengths in the other person, we have a tendency to spin our wheels and never get anything done.

And things can be downright boring around us at times, since we are both passive and all too agreeable.

A few more differences might actually be fun!

Pat said...

Just read your blog for the first time today..LOVE IT!!! I plan to stop by often. I've been married for 40 years, so I understand what your saying twice over!! Also, for some reason, I also love "Play that funky music white boy"!!
Pat

Taradharma said...

what a lovely, true and wise post! And knee-slappin' funny! I liken my fascination and love of my spouse to the fondness for cats: they are mysterious and often off-putting, but they are soooo interesting - I just can't stop watching.

daisymarie said...

We have so much in common! Our 28th is Saturday.

Geekwif said...

I've never understood irreconcilable differences either. People who divorce for such reasons clearly didn't understand what marriage was about when they made their vows.

Congratulations on almost 28 years! How wonderful. My hubby and I are halfway there.

it's a gong show... said...

I absolutely loved this post!

B

Linda said...

What a list! While the differences can be irreconcilable, the fact that he doesn't like you ironing his shirts is something I could certainly live with. And housecleaning to relax? What a dreamboat. He can come and relax at my place anytime!

Anonymous said...

As ususal you are right to the point...enjoyed this one too! I see another Elizabeth has found you...so guess I must be the "Old Elizabeth" eh? ha...

I guess my hubby and I are not this different but there are always the irritation points. Seems the plan of the FATHER to put such people together so we get our rough points ground off a bit more. Certainly learn to be tolerant don't we? You do kill me however...not ironing several lines in a shirt sleeve...maybe I should have done that years ago...ha! I don't hate ironing, but rarely get it all done! Don't you prefer tasks that don't always quickly get "undone"...that must be why I am not so great in some housekeeping areas!!
love, the "Old Elizabeth"

Debra said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Judy! I remember this post from last year--a real winner! Thanks for posting it again..so much truth! (Thanks for your comments at my blog, too!) :)Blessings, Debra

Melissa said...

It takes some work - but it is worth it. Even if I find the need to occasionally gripe about it.

Unknown said...

Love it! You are both funny and delightful.
As long as you are both in love you will survive the differences so I wish you well.
We will celebrate, and I do mean joyfully, 62 years in May.

Betty G

MissKris said...

As I read thru these I realized yesterday was our "anniversary", Judy...one year of friendship! That was my first comment to you ever and I've been hooked ever since. I am so glad Mel put that link to your site on her blog a year ago. You truly are one of my most precious friends in cyberspace!

Yvonne said...

Thank you for some great chuckles - and outright laughs! My husband read this, too and laughed right along with me. We will be married 28 years this year, too - and though we don't have as many irreconcilable differences - we, too have had our moments. Thanks for sharing that!

joyce said...

JUDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(note the exclemation points! I will not apologize!)
I don't know if you noticed... but you've got THIRTY TWO comments!!!!

This was a laugh out loud post. The best thing I've read in a while. Such a refreshing change from the crap people dish up around valentine's day. I think this has inspired me to write something. Now if only I had the time...