Do you know Bill Grogen's Goat? If you do, then you must have been a child who took piano lessons.
Really. If one wants to know if someone took piano lessons, or not, all one must do is begin humming "Bill Grogen's Goat".
If my memory serves me correctly (let it be noted that i am presently running a fever) Bill Grogen's Goat was in the John Thompson series of piano books.
I was a reluctant piano student.
Piano playing was what we did in my family.
My sisters were good at it, as older sisters tend to be.
All of the non-summer Saturday mornings of my childhood were spent at piano lessons.
First, my dad made me PAY for these lessons that I didn't want to take by dusting all the chairs in our church's auditorium, filling visitor cards and offering envelopes, properly arranging hymnbooks and picking trash from the hymnbook racks - a job I learned to do with my toes to avoid life-threatening illnesses. (it might be interesting to note here that my mother was doing this job when she went into labor with me. okay. so it might not be interesting. whatever.)
Then, in all sorts of weather I walked the blocks to my piano teacher's house.
Three perky blond sisters took lessons before us, which meant that if they had arrived late, I sometimes had to listen to them AND my sisters before it was my turn to humiliate myself.
Thankfully, my piano teacher had a wonderful supply of great children's literature to occupy me while I waited my turn. He had A LOT of "Curious George" books, and I developed a fondness for the man in the yellow hat.
Having been raised in a dispensationalist family, I prayed often for the rapture to occur before I had to do something I thought distasteful - like piano lessons.
Although sometimes the songs were great. Like Bill Grogen's Goat. And from that, I grew to love Beethoven, especially Fur Elise which is now best know as an obnoxious ring tone.
What I admired most about my piano teacher was how he wrote right on the lesson book. Over the top of the comments he had made to each of my sisters he wrote what he thought of my attempt. I often wondered if I slipped him more money if he would write something profound. Something like this even - "Whatsyourname - not bad. Not good, but not bad!" Being the third daughter, no one EVER got my name right.
So, those were my Saturday mornings.
They haven't changed all that much. I still go every Saturday morning to dust the chairs at church. The chairs have changed. The new ones collect even more dust and the hymnals get wedged in tightly. I no longer need to extract trash with my toes. Sometimes I go early just to play the piano. Now I play mostly Lynne DeShizo or Matt Redman. Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" when I am seriously depressed.
I'll feel a bit melancholy when I engage in my Saturday morning routine, as last week my piano teacher died unexpectedly of a heart attack.
Do YOU know Bill Grogen's Goat? Then go thank your piano teacher, before it's too late.
Monday, May 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Judy- I've just read your last three or four posts, and I'll say it again- YOU ARE NOT BORING! You have a wonderful way of weaving the stories of your very real life. And they're such a pleasure to read. I've come to feel like I love your mom and dad too, and I want them to be safe and well.
I had to smile at the bit about your teacher writing notes right in the book. I'm the youngest of eight, and at least two sisters before me were relatively brilliant on the piano. I stank.
At least mom and dad were too busy trying to care for all of us to insist that I take that crazy piano for more than one year. I remember preferring to sort and organize my piano teachers bookshelf of piano books than to torture her with my crummy playing...
I've had "issues" getting into your comment box the past few days...typical, ha! Anyway, I had to try once more and finally got thru. Reading this reminded me of my try at learning an instrument. I wanted to play drums but that was considered a "boy" instrument when I was in grade school so I got stuck with the beat-up old clarinet my oldest brother had learned how to play. I HATED DETESTED LOATHED it and I lasted all of about two weeks before REFUSING to take another lesson. As much as I love music, I always wanted to learn how to play something, so at the age of 53 I'm picking 'n' plucking on my grandson's little keyboard and finding a lot of satisfaction in that 'coz Dylan thinks I play like Liberace, hahahaha! ;-P I remember discovering an alumni page from my hometown school on the internet and reading that the beloved mucis teacher had died fairly recently...he'd been there forever, it seemed...at least as far back as I can remember and that's a LONG time now! I think teachers seem like parents in the sense we think they'll be there forever, too. Sadly, that isn't the way life works.
funny post with a surprisingly heart rending twist at the end. I am sure my piano teacher is long dead.....he used to hit me on the wrist with a ruler if I did not hold my hands in the right posistion.....but it is amazing if one looks back, at just what those lessons built into us/me.....I am glad I took them....
Post a Comment