Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Home Sweet Nursing Home

Today my dad and I went to Hymn-Sing Day at the nursing home.

When we got there, my mom was ready and waiting. I don't think she knew exactly WHAT she was ready and waiting FOR, but, she was.

There was an extra special surprise at the hymn-sing. A class of 1st and 2nd graders from a local school came to put on a Christmas program. They were adorable.

My mom was THRILLED. Although she seems content enough when we visit (she doesn't seem to know where she is, or why) I haven't seen her smile. Until today. All it took was a group of children.

The girl who played Mary was especially sweet. She was suffering from stage fright, forgot the baby, and when He was 'delivered', she hung on to Him in a less than motherly fashion. It was cute.

After their songs and play they passed out home-made Christmas cards to all of the residence. The one my mom received said on the inside "You are COOL! I hope you live a log time." How sweet is that? Misspelling and all!

Anyway, one of the residence, upon opening her card said rather loudly "Is this a money card? Because if it is, I didn't get any." Money must be the 'common' gift for those in nursing homes.

My dad found an old friend there. The man who leads the hymn-sing singing. His wife has been in the home for thirteen years. I think it helps my dad every time he hears good things about this home.

As dad and I were getting into the car, several vans loaded with children were arriving. They also had a large box of cards. It was a good time to leave, knowing that more smiles were headed mom's way.

4 comments:

MissKris said...

In years past, a ministry I was involved in was visiting shut-ins from our church at various nursing homes. This was back in the days when my kids were infants and nothing would brighten their day more than to have one of my babies reach out to them and/or sit on their laps. The connections of the generations seems to bypass the parent stage...there is a connection between children and our older people that is truly special. Sounds like a lovely day for ALL of you, Judy!

Pat said...

Days like that are special hugs from God to let you know that He truly is in control and only wants the best for His children.
There is nothing like a child to bring a smile to your face. I feel that smile coming on every time you post the pictures of your grands....such sweet innocence.

Hope said...

Hi Judy,
I was thinking about your mom last night and wondering how she was doing. You hadn't blogged about her in a while.
Children and old people...so much alike.
I love that you can keep your sense of humor even in the midst of trials.
Hugs,
Hope

Melissa said...

Oh, I am glad.