Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Friday, January 31, 2014

Using What I Have on Hand

Why, would you look at this!

Or, maybe.., WHY WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS?!

Seriously, it was my intention to have a calm, peaceful, quiet January here in the part of the world that global warming has seemed to have forgotten.

Last Friday morning THGGM awoke me with these words:  "Did you remove the mouse trap from the kitchen counter?"

I can assure you, I did not.  Which I told him.  His response was a casual, "Well it isn't there anymore."  And then he left for work.

HE LEFT FOR WORK!

It didn't take long before I heard what sounded like a prisoner raking a tin cup along the bars of a cell. Over and over and over again.  Under the stove.

It did occur to me that I could pack up a few things and just move out.  But it was cold, and snowy, and I don't have a car, and well, I had plans for a calm, peaceful, quiet January.

Children would soon be arriving, so I put on my brave face and pretended that a band of animated musical creatures where playing "Momma Don't Allow No Music Playing 'Round Here" just to annoy me.

Now were I a braver person, I might have gone after this rodent but I am not brave.  I am not brave at all.  Never have been, and it isn't looking hopeful for bravery to descend upon me in the near future - at least not where rodents are concerned.

Anyway.., to skip over a bunch of strange sounds and happenings, by late morning the mouse had emerged from under the stove, dragging the trap which had a good grasp on at least one of its back legs.  Maybe a front leg too, I didn't get TOO close.  And like this, it danced the tango all around my kitchen floor.

Now I have a broom, and I have a dust pan, but what I do not have is ANY desire at all to get close to this thing.  So when it danced its way over to the dog blanket I helped (from the other side of the gate no less)  cover it with the dog blanket, then a small cardboard box (for some reason we seem to have a plethora of those around here) and added the Coke crate to the top in hopes of stabilizing it.

Well that kept it quiet(er).  Thankfully, my sister and her grandson had been dropped off at my house by my very brave and manly brother-in-law.  When he arrived to pick them up I pointed to the tower I had built and told him what was underneath it.   I didn't ask him for any details after that.

But I am happy to report that it's been a week, an extremely cold week, and we haven't seen nor heard of any more mice.









2 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

Laughing myself ever so silly :0)
Only until the end of the story did I realize what that pic represented.
THX for sharing.
(((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Judy, you never fail to give me some laughter and that is always a good thing. Poor thing. I have only had those critters in my garage. I keep poison out and I know when it has been disturbed that a critter has taken residence so out come the traps. Being alone now, I just man up, put on rubber gloves and release the executed critter outside to whatever happens to dead mice and shrews. I cannot stand mice and why people have them as pets is something I will never understand. I hope you are surviving this arctic winter we are having. I for one am ready for spring. I can take winter and actually enjoy it but not this cold or this snowy. We have lovely ice today. You have a wonderful Sunday.