Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Thursday, June 30, 2016

She Tries. She Really Truly Does Try.

So, remember how on Thursday I was supposed to be cleaning but instead I went on a delightful romp to the zoo?
That meant that today I had to make up for lost time.
It seemed like it was time for me to do something different with the breezeway.
I got up early and set to work removing all of the blue, green, and yellow planters that have called these shelves home for years.
I loaded them all into the dishwasher, even though they really weren't THAT dirty. After all, I washed them somewhere around Easter.   Although I now know where all the stink bugs go to die.  So, wash them I did.  AND, I scrubbed down the shelves THOROUGHLY.  Trust me on this one.  I did that.
It takes awhile to do jobs like this.  One of the reasons I wanted to change things up is that I'm running out of room for non-essentials in my kitchen.
At the thrift store on Saturday I found a really cute white enamel tray with a red edge.  It has an interesting shape to it.  That is what gave me the idea.  There was NO WHERE to put it in the kitchen.
So, one thing lead to another and I completely filled up those three shelves.
And then I sat down to look at it.
I forgot to add the tray that started the entire thing in the first place.  Oh, well.  What are you going to do?  Somethings I never forget, and somethings I just cannot seem to remember.  This was one of those.
Anyway..,
 I admired my shelves, even though I can see everything that is wrong with them, and how desperately they need editing,
And I also watched the construction going on across the street from us.  It's been going on for weeks.  I've kind of grown immune to the noise from all the trucks going back and forth all day long and the constant beep beep beeping of every type of vehicle that backs up.
It really was a lovely day.  Cool and beautiful as I rocked away on my breezeway.
And then?  The breeze picked up.  More like a wind, really.  It felt rather good.
Until  an hour later when I went to adjust something on a shelf and noticed this.
Ugh.  It is EVERYWHERE.  And not just on the breezeway.
It is in our coffee mugs, our cereal bowls, the covers to all the canisters, the counter, the table, the FLOOR.  Oh my.  THE FLOOR.
I can taste it even.  Ugh.  Ugh.  Ugh.
Progress.  It tastes funny.  But truly we are happy to have this construction going on.  It is a HUGE building project at the school all three of my kids attended, and two of them graduated from (there wasn't a high school yet when Old Son needed one - so we home schooled) and that Hertsje will go to for preschool in the fall (although not at the high school).  And, like the neighbors are saying, it's a good thing to watch a small Christian school working in a poor neighborhood grow in this way.  They are hoping to double their enrollment.
So, it's exciting to watch.  But I certainly won't be throwing open the windows on cool windy days, or hanging laundry on the line to dry.
Good thing my mother taught me that life isn't all about me.

No comments: