1. Well, it took WEEKS to do, but I think I finally have the majority of THE MAIN FLOOR of my house in order. There are still a few closets and cupboards that will need to be purged and reorganized, but if you dropped by, I would (okay, i MIGHT) let you in! And, I may even open up a closet here and there to show you what I have done in those. Seriously. I have been busy.
2. We shall not talk about my rooms in the basement. The main parts are okay by any one's standards, but my crafting rooms? Ugh. I am telling myself that by the end of winter, even that will be done. Yup. That's what I'm telling myself.
3. Today being Saturday, THGGM and I went to the thrift store! Of course we did. I did very well too. I found another very lovely vintage picnic basket for only FOUR DOLLARS. For that price, it is mine now. But, mostly I'm looking to rebuild my fall wardrobe on the cheap, and I did nicely in that category too.
4. And were you to wonder if I am still working to USE UP WHAT I HAVE ON HAND, yes, yes I am! Yesterday I made a Christmas tree out of wooden spools of green thread. Hmm. Maybe I will post a picture. This is that time of year when I get ideas, make things, and then by Christmas I wonder what on earth I was even thinking. Do other people do this also? Or, is it just me?
5. That reminds me, three months from today will be Christmas Eve. I'm not kidding here, it seems like Christmas was just last week. Time flies.
6. Speaking of flies, there is a rather large one buzzing around in here. Ugh. But even worse, my dog seems to have picked up fleas from somewhere. He never goes anywhere, so it's really weird for him to have them. I treated him in the spring, even though he hasn't ever had them in the six years that we have owned him. I am blaming them on the large rabbit in our backyard. Yes. That must be it. It just boggles my mind that a rabbit would take up residence in a yard with a dog! How stupid are those things? Apparently, very.
7. All of the grand kids seem to be fairing well at school. I'm thankful for this, as I do have some strong feelings against all the testing that goes on these days. Why can't kids be allowed to think, act, dream, move around, create, and LEARN like kids? Do NOT even get me started. I have views on these things.
8. In my cleaning out and purging of closets, I have left the "toy closet" for last. The truth is, I'm not ready to face it yet. I have it on my mental list of things to tackle this coming week. I have drawers and bins filled to the brim with tinker toys, potato heads, Winnie the Pooh, Lego, Little People, plastic animals, blocks, assorted Happy Meal toys, musical instruments, trucks and cars, games, cards, puzzles - you name it, I probably have it. BUT, there are still times during the week when there are kids of multiple age groups here. This makes me want to hang on to it all. It's just ONE closet (maybe...) and I've been working to add to these categories for over ten years now. But, to be fair to myself, quite a few heavy boxes have been dropped off at the thrift store. That should count for SOMETHING! (please say it does.., please!)
9. Had I written this post yesterday, I would have added a random thought about how I decorated my house for fall without buying ANYTHING for it. Until TODAY, I was only using things I already have. But, today at the thrift store (of course!) I found a clear glass pumpkin with a lid! I have always wanted one! I almost passed on it, but I showed it to THGGM, who had also found a few treasures, and he thought I should get it too. That's all it took! So, I've always wanted to fill one of these with candy corn and peanuts, a favorite fall treat around here. Then I thought that since I have diabetes, that would not be wise. My next idea was to fill it up and GLUE THE LID ON. That way, it would LOOK like a darling fall decoration, but the sugary bits of it would not be accessible to me. But then I remembered exactly what kind of a person I am, and a little thing like glue wouldn't keep me from it. It would become my personal pinata and I would smash that thing and just pick around the glassy shards on my way to a certain coma. I heed the advice of Socrates. I know myself.
10. Have I mentioned that I love Fall? I am sooo grateful that it is FINALLY here! I've been sprinkling cinnamon in my coffee, slicing up apples to dip in peanut butter (i can fool myself into believing that it tastes like a caramel apple) although I am yet longing to pull on jeans and a sweatshirt, that hasn't happened yet. I hate to wear socks, so there is that
|I made this!|