Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Thursday, August 09, 2018

Cottage 2018, Last Thursday


Famke and I were up early on Thursday.
 I'm grateful to have a pair of "young" eyes to point things out that I would otherwise miss.
She spotted the hawk circling above us.
Of course there was a hawk!
During the night an incredibly strong wind blew through, waking us with its howling and banging.
This caused the waves to pick up considerable on Thursday.
I zoomed in on the Holland lighthouse.
We came up from the beach to find Pake and Feintsje snuggling on the deck, enjoying the waves from that vantage point.

Son-in-law and Jonge ventured  into the water, staying close to shore and keeping tight hold of their boards.
(there is a video below)
Son-in-law carried Kado out on his back to enjoy a bit of the action.
I don't recommend that anyone try this though.
While they could feel the undertow and never went in deeper than what you see in the picture, Lake Michigan isn't a lake to mess with.
It can, and does, kill.
On the following Sunday, two men died at a beach just north of here.
Others were rescued and hospitalized.
It's fun to play in the waves, but when a red flag is flying the only thing to do is to stay OUT of the water!
Youngest Son and his family came back after work.
These five have such a wonderful time playing some sort of "pretend" that appears to be a combination of 'house' and an incomprehensible  (to me) fantasy world of home, business, and a girl rabbit named Carrots, played by Broeder.
 I used to try to make sense of it.
I've given that up.
They are having fun, and THEY seem to know what is going on.
When we first started coming here, Jonge was young enough to join in.
Not any more.
They do grow up!
He and Youngest Son are both the kind that can play catch and talk baseball ALL. THE. TIME.


They had a great time!
And, they BOTH destroyed the other's glove with their fast balls.
Apparently, that is a kind of thrill I don't understand.
(admittedly, there is A LOT i do not understand)

I wasn't sure we were going to see the sunset.
But that doesn't matter to me, as it is ALWAYS setting, even if it is cloudy.
The sky was interesting and beautiful.
I love Love LOVE clouds!
This was breath-taking to behold.
The sky opened up right over the sailboat. 
The color on the water was gorgeous, and ever changing.
And then, even with all the dark cloudiness, the
sun dropped back onto the scene! 

I can't even describe how beautiful the sunset on the waves can be.



No comments: