Oldest Son entered school in the first grade. We didn't send him to kindergarten because he could already read and write.
It was a 1st/2nd grand split class, and he worked along with the 2nd grade. His teacher recommended that we place him in a program for gifted children. We declined.
Until, that is, the next year when he was a 2nd grader in a 1st/2nd grade classroom and not being challenged enough.
So, we sent him.
This was one of his projects.
I LOVE it.
Over the weekend I did the switch from winter clothes to summer clothes and found Spike and Baby Bear. They were in the bottom drawer of my dresser, way in the back.
Goodness. They HAVE seen better days!
Baby Bear is missing his nose.
And, Spike is missing his eyes. This one is actually Spike the 2nd, as the first one disappeared without a trace, leaving behind only his really cool hat.
And, Spike is missing his eyes. This one is actually Spike the 2nd, as the first one disappeared without a trace, leaving behind only his really cool hat.
We kept Oldest Son in the gifted program for only a year.
All children are gifted. Yours, mine and everybody else's too.
Anyway, Oldest Son has 'put away childish things' but I'm keeping Spike and Baby Bear.
I need them.

5 comments:
Judy, I beg to differ. He has not put away childish things...you know his lego collection and the man still sleeps w/ a bear and has replaced Spike, the dog, with Lily, the fat beagle =). Have a good day.
love,
christine
(daughter-in-law)
My son is in the gifted program. It is the only place he finds those needed challenges. It truly is a individual thing.
The keepsakes are precious, and there will come a time he will be ready to embrace them and what the signify again.
Aw, my son (16) still sleeps with a panda bear that he dad used to sleep with. My mother-in-law told me a story once. She said that the morning my husband (her son) left home to go to boot camp she found the panda bear on his bed (it had been put away in a box). It made her cry.
Daughter-in-law - He did ask me if I had sown Baby Bear's nose on yet!
Oshee - You are SO right about it being an individual thing.
~jennifer - Gaurd that Panda! What a great story.
I've "recycled" my son's Bert and Ernie and now Dylan loves them as much as his daddy did and plays with them every day. I'm sure once Dylan's done with them there'll hardly be a scrap left...but I don't care if all I have is a thread or two from each one. I need them, too! (((HUG)))
Post a Comment