Welcome to Anybody Home!

Here you will find scattered pictures from my point and shoot camera, random thoughts from my little world, treasured memories of days gone by, hopeful dreams of the days yet to come, and a bunch of ideas - because I've always got ideas!



Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Independence Day Breakfast, 2018

July 4th Breakfast has been a tradition for decades now.
It started with our family and my parents.
We would have breakfast together, and then  THGGM, my dad and our kids would go to the parade in Grandville, which in the beginning of our doing this was just a few blocks away from us.
The first time we did this, my mom and Oldest Son were terrified by the airplanes and LOUDNESS that she walked back to our house with him.
A few years after, my mom and I stopped going.  The guys and the kids went, while my mom and I stayed back and handmade our Christmas cards!
Jump ahead at least a decade, and now it's Daughter and her family that leave after breakfast to go to the parade.
Soon after, everyone scatters for their own plans for the holiday.
This still remains one of my favorite family traditions!


And like all other family traditions, our menu varies very little from year to year.
Why mess with it when it works?
This year, Youngest Son didn't eat.
He is doing a juice fast.
His kids, Hertsje and Broeder, are camping along Lake Michigan this week with the other side of their family.
We missed them, but they were SOOO EXCITED to spend the week with three of their "other cousins" who live in Georgia and Nebraska.
In our family, we value our relationships with cousins!
Daughter's family spent the rest of their day with "other cousins" too!
In our family, we didn't have that.  THGGM had one brother who never married and had no children.


One thing we never lack over here on this holiday is FOOD!
Everything we have (except for grilling the sausages) is put together the day before.
This makes for a much calmer morning!
Although THGGM had to get up at 5:00 AM to start the crockpot  he did not seem to mind, as his normal get up time is 3:30.
We are getting much use out of the patio we had put in last year.
I'm so glad we did that!
On our menu, besides the grilled sausages, we had:
Fresh Fruit
Blueberry Muffins
Cheesy Hashbrowns
Green Chili Quiche
Ham and Broccoli Quiche
Homemade Granola
Yogurt
Orange Juice
Coffee

Zeke is the happiest when we are all eating OUTSIDE!
The only things blooming in my backyard this summer are the Desert Candles
This is us!

No comments: